Small problem (I hope) with TSP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Small problem (I hope) with TSP

I updated to Mavericks today and after a few problems i think i am ready to play some tunes. I am using Korg Zero 4 as the sound card with Denon 3700s. The scopes say its calibrated and the phase meter is running but the track is still and no sound. It won't even play if I click the play button with the mouse. The button lights up green but the track stays still and the phase meter is running as if the track is playing. Any help would be appreciated.
    2x Denon Dns 3700s, Korg Zero 4, NI x1, Macbookpro, KRK rocket 8s, KRK sub.

Tech Mentor

Good to see another East Coaster, wish I could help, good luck.

Tech Wizard

Thanks Bisco. I seem to have it working now. I wish I knew what was wrong with it though. I do have to jump through hoops a bit to get the Denon decks to work & i m used to that but the fact that i couldn't even get the decks to play using the mouse is a bit worrying.
    This has got me wondering what I will buy next. I loved the Denon decks but the software that is used to prepare files to play from a USB stick is PC only and whats worse is the fact that it only appears to work with windows XP. I prepared tracks using Parallels and windows on the mac but as time has gone buy and I have updated my OS Parallels no longer works so I can have the choice of CDs which I hate or time control. While I do love time control, if I use it from a CD that leaves all the other controls on the deck useless. If I use Hybrid mode i am now getting big poor timecode signal messages all the time even though it works fine. Plus the fact that 3700s are very expensive as MIDI controllers without the ability to use the USB function or the Hybrid mode. It's a shame really because i love Denon products but feel a annoyed that they didn't support the features of the 3700s for long enough. They opted to learn by there mistakes & move on to new models instead. I love technology and the advancements but the longevity of some products & software is crazy.
    Maybe the answer is to go back to TTs and a separate MIDI controller.

Engine works on win 7 too, but it's crap... poor man's rekordbox

Tech Wizard

I'm not using Engine. I'm using Music Manager its older software. It's just to scan the tracks for BPM and create wave forms on the decks. Engine does not work with the 3700s.

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    Engine works on win 7 too, but it's crap... poor man's rekordbox
    I actually prefer Engine over Rekordbox. I prefer the interface, I prefer the track browse filter options, but most importantly for me it never crashes (either when preparing or playing) which is something I simply could not achieve with rekordbox and my 900s.

But yes as the OP is using 3700s he will be referring to Music Manager which is by all accounts a dog of a program.

As for the OP, if you could make the swap to the newer 3900s you would find it a pretty hassle-free experience. Both the 3900s & 2900s are near enough plug & play with Traktor once the tsi files are loaded- I had put off trying my 2900s with Traktor for this very reason but when I finally got around to it I imported the tsi file and got them up & running in 5 minutes.

Both the 2900 & 3900 can be switched between midi/usb/cd etc on the fly as well which is rather handy when playing from multiple sources. I often have both Traktor & Engine running on my laptop at the sametime (so I can use both my 2900s & TTs) but it does give the option of switching between sources on the fly just using the deck buttons (midi, usb, link, cd).

If Traktor wasn't playing even when using the mouse though that suggests to me a Traktor setup issue rather than the decks themselves. Also, have you checked out the 3700 section over at denondjforums? I know there are quite a few knowledgable people over there and I have always received a swift response to any queries, could be worth a look.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Tech Wizard

Just out of curiosity, how are you using the 3900s with Traktor. Are you using timecode cd or the Hybrid mode. I use the hybrid mode with the 3700s with a fantastic mapping i got from somebody on the Denon forum. I didn't think the platter on the 3900s worked with tractor as Denon seemed to be steering all Traktor users towards the 2900s and I don't want to lose my spinning platters.
    On a side note I don't use the Denon forum very often. Much as i loved the forum I find the heavy handed and patronizing moderators just ruin it. I felt that as a 3700 user I was left out in the cold a bit when they brought out the 3900. Music Manager may be old but the 3700 wasn't when they brought out the 3900. They should have upgraded music manager to the long awaited and pretty much promised Mac version. The other users on the Denon forum were usually very helpful even Denon himself seems like a great guy its just a shame two of the Mods often jump to the defence of gear that isn't really being attacked. Most people that use Denon gear love it, especially the build quality but issues need to be discussed openly.

Sorry I should have clarified that I actually only own the sc2900s (used in standard midi mode when used with Traktor) but I have used a 3900 connected to Traktor scratch when I demo'd both the 3900 & 2900.

In this setup the 3900 was being used in hybrid-midi mode (i.e no timecode cd). I have a feeling at the time they said it was using the 2900 mapping but I believe there is now a dedicated 3900 tsi file now. I'm pretty sure there was nothing else to it, it was only a short demo (with Traktor) but the platter certainly seemed to work as intended.

There are a few threads on DDJ forums, this one springs to mind: http://www.denondjforums.com/forums/...p?f=59&t=17687 and he includes instructions for setting it all up too, but there are other threads also.

My 2900s I use in standard midi-mode (i.e not timecode) and the response between the platter & Traktor is fantastic- I'm intending to put a video together soon to show this.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the info. The 2900s were for sale briefly for a crazy price over here recently. I think it was 599 Canadian dollars but it was only for a short time. Hahaa i should have known what you were using its in your signature at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Irrational Fear View Post
    My 2900s I use in standard midi-mode (i.e not timecode) and the response between the platter & Traktor is fantastic- I'm intending to put a video together soon to show this.
    I've never tried using my sc2900's with traktor.... 2 questions: Do you get the track names on the screen of the 2900?? And do the lights around the edge of the platter work?? (I'm gonna guess no for this one as they don't work in Cross!!)
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast