controlling 1 iTunes Library across 2 computers
    Tech Convert

Default controlling 1 iTunes Library across 2 computers

I've got abit of a problem (although i'm sure its nothing new).. basically I want to share/sync one library between my P.C and my Laptop so that when i download and arrange playlists on my P.C I can transfer them to my laptop (either via network or via a portable hard-drive) and maintain the playlists, library and music without loosing anything. Hopefully that all makes sense?

Whats the best way of doing this?? I'm currently carrying on as you would normally with my P.C, then backing my iTunes folder up to an external H.D then plugging it into my laptop and setting iTunes to reference the external H.D's iTunes folder as the music folder... This works to an extent, but doesn't copy the playlists...

The Ideal situation would be getting rid of my PC and just d/ling and arranging my music within my laptop, however as its fairly low spec and I want to keep it for performing only, this wouldn't be feasible.

Any help would be greatfully received! :eek:

Tech Guru

Download iTunes 9 and there's a feature called home sharing. You can wirelessly transfer music from computer to computer on your network it's the easiest way and is actually very quick

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Download iTunes 9 and there's a feature called home sharing. You can wirelessly transfer music from computer to computer on your network it's the easiest way and is actually very quick
    I am actually transfering 126 gigs of tracks using this right now. So far I have 5520 songs out of 9634 in about a 12 hour time frame. The only issue is playlists aren't copied so I will have to formulate a way to sort my tracks using smart playlists. Luckily my tracks are tagged properly so I am hoping it won't be too hard.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Home Sharing is a great feature in iTunes 9, however the sharing of the music isn't really my main issue, its more sharing playlists and keeping them upto date.. if only there were a way to sync them through iTunes along with the shared music

Not sure exactly how, but i'm sure you could store your actual library file on the external hd (rather than in user > music > itunes).

Then set both computers itunes to read from the library that is stored on your HD.

Then, you would always need to attach the hd before launching itunes, to stop it creating a new itunes library file.

am sure you could get that to work...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

and it could be to do with consolidating your library before you move it each time.

check on apple forums about moving itunes library from one computer to another
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.