HELP! Need advice for playing a Radio show for the first time.
    Tech Mentor

Default HELP! Need advice for playing a Radio show for the first time.

Hey all, I'm in a need of advice from dj's who have played Radio shows before, some tips and hints would be much appreciated

So recently I won a DJ contest which got me a spot on a local Radio show, I'm an experienced DJ, club gig Wise, I've played out in front of people proably over a hundred times, but I've never done a 20 minute Radio show.

I'm pretty comfortable on pretty much any DJ gear, be it CDJs or Turntables so that shouldn't be an issue. I think Imma play a bit of oldschool hip hop, maybe mixed with some newer stuff but mainly hip hop, since that was what the contest was about. Would be nice if anyone could point out some differentes between playing a club gig and a radioshow and what I need to keep in mind

Thanks in advance

Tech Mentor

Lol nevermind, it went great!

Thanks anyway DJTT

Tech Mentor

Congrats on the contest! Out of curiosity: Is there such a big difference between a club-session or one on the radio?

Tech Mentor

Hey! Thanks a lot. As I found out today, yeah there is definately a difference between club gigs and public radio. Mixing on the radio is a lot like recording a mix at home, except with another person in the room and you need to nail it on your first try.

Furthermore, you need to mix really cleanly, because every mistake you make is instantly recognizable, unlike in a loud club environment, where there's heavy bass going on and other noise pollution. And you NEED to watch your levels on the mixer.
    Oh and the equipment is new and clean, unlike in any club lol (Technics 1210 M5G's & Pioneer DJM800)

Other than that it was a really awesome experience and I think I really nailed it, the recording of the show should be online soon

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    Hey! Thanks a lot. As I found out today, yeah there is definately a difference between club gigs and public radio. Mixing on the radio is a lot like recording a mix at home, except with another person in the room and you need to nail it on your first try.

Furthermore, you need to mix really cleanly, because every mistake you make is instantly recognizable, unlike in a loud club environment, where there's heavy bass going on and other noise pollution. And you NEED to watch your levels on the mixer.
    Oh and the equipment is new and clean, unlike in any club lol (Technics 1210 M5G's & Pioneer DJM800)

Other than that it was a really awesome experience and I think I really nailed it, the recording of the show should be online soon
    Glad it went well

Absolutely spot on points you make. I do 4 hours a wk of online radio, it is different to club play definitely - smooth track transition, links between tracks, listener interaction, features within the show etc, guest mixes, etc etc.

Speaking of which, those in to Deep/Soulful Garage House - I've got a guest mix from Scott Diaz on my show tonight - See sig links below.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Hey man, where's the link from the show? Would love to hear it : ) Congrats by the way