A Beginner's (Massive) Guide to MIDI Controllers
    Tech Wizard

Default A Beginner's (Massive) Guide to MIDI Controllers

I'm presently working on a guide to MIDI controllers for beginners and gear freaks and I figured this would be a good place to find like-minded people. It started out as an impromptu write-up in response to a question about good MIDI controllers to use with Traktor, and I hope to make it into something that many can appreciate.

This post is here for a number of reasons. First of all, it's here so beginners can check it out and see what's currently out there in terms of MIDI controllers. Second of all, I'd like to get suggestions for improvements and corrections both in terms of layout and style as well as in terms of factual information and what is covered. Third, I would like to recruit like-minded people with an obsession for MIDI controllers and who are interested in contributing to my guide.

The difference between this guide and something like DJ Tech Tools or Skratchworx is that my guide is meant to be less of a news source or "hype machine" (not that I'm referencing anyone in particular here ) and more of a collection of factual information, organized in a coherent and logical way. Sort of like Wikipedia but with a narrower scope.

The current guide can be viewed here: Part 1 Part 2

Basically, who's interested in contributing and what are some ways that I could improve this guide?

Tech Guru

if you lived in socal id come let you play on my rmx. personally ive not noticed the sound quality of my soundcard being bad. seems good to my ears.

also for the hercules stuff, with traktor specifically, id say the mapping makes the controller. honestly i wasnt happy with the money i spent until i got armyofme's traktor mapping.

now i love it.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

Huh, I had heard otherwise. That guide was very impromptu and based almost entirely on what I had heard (or what I thought I had heard) from others. My limited research indicates your experience is the predominant one so I'll go ahead and correct that in the next iteration. Thanks for your help!

Tech Guru

i think to be fair, saying "some say they have a problem with it while others seem to think its fine, ymmv"

or something like that

i hope to try another soundcard with mine to see if theres any discernable difference on my desktop. maybe with all these guys in l.a. i'll get the chance here soon.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

Yeah, the revamped version I'm doing will include a YMMV disclaimer.

Tech Mentor

I would be up for helping contribute to your guide. Let me know what you need. I use a hercules rmx/nanopad/kontrol setup (not armyofme's)
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Your Info on the Faderfox series is slight confusing.
    They are Midi out but you can connect them directly to the laptop with a cheap Midi to USB convertor cable.

Maybe also mention that they are Battery powered thus saving on the use of a power source and sapping power from the Laptop. Batteries have about 9 hours use meaning if you pressed a button and kept it pressed it would take 9 hours for the batteries to discharge. In real terms this amounts (in my case) to about 4 gigs a week (5 hour sets) for about 3-4 months before they need replacing. Pretty awesome.

The DX2 is the perfect contoller for Traktor Scratch DJs who need access to loops and FX with a small unit that can be placed between Mixer and Deck without taking up valuable space and reach. The DX2 has more buttons and encoders than you would ever need if you a scratch DJ and is perfect for the job.

HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Karlos