Ways Of Promoting Your DJ Group While Gigging?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Ways Of Promoting Your DJ Group While Gigging?

Tips on promoting when your DJ fan page etc when your out gigging?

I get into alot of conversations with people saying they like my music and stuff while im out, i haven't as of yet but while in conversation with these people i want to ask them to like my group on Facebook. Them being genuine fans!

How do you bring this across without sounding desperate or sumit haha? If anyone's got any other good ways to promote while out gigging share here!

Tech Mentor

I was also thinking, i get alot of requests. If they want a song played they have to like my page? is that chessy haha

Quote Originally Posted by Macco View Post
    I was also thinking, i get alot of requests. If they want a song played they have to like my page? is that chessy haha
    Don't do this... Do you really plan on monitoring who likes your page every second you're behind the decks? Sounds like you're a local/bar scene DJ anyways, if so your best bet would just be to hand out business cards and promo CD's and hope to get more locals booking you.

Tech Mentor

I get into alot of conversations with people saying they like my music and stuff while im out, i haven't as of yet but while in conversation with these people i want to ask them to like my group on Facebook. Them being genuine fans!

How do you bring this across without sounding desperate or sumit haha? If anyone's got any other good ways to promote while out gigging share here!
    I think you're overthinking here...

These people approached you because of your music or at least told you they like it, so pointing them at your Facebook page surely won't come across desperate.

(On the opposite, not telling them about your page is like hesitating to ask a girl out who already told you she likes you... )

I wouldn't "ask" them, but something along the lines of "Why don't you check out my Facebook page for mixtapes and information about my next gigs" should work fine.

I wouldn't do that. This might actually come across desperate, plus it might put people off ("That stupid DJ last night didn't want to play my request unless I liked his Facebook page, can you believe it?").

If someone compliments you at the end of the night, just hand them a business card. They are fairly cheap to make and are an effective way to give them all of your links.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

i just post a link to my page to the event after the gig... people who liked my set enough will like it (hopefully)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    i just post a link to my page to the event after the gig... people who liked my set enough will like it (hopefully)
    I typically don't waste my time looking at past events. I could imagine not many people do, which means not many people will see the link...

Tech Guru

I get notifications for posts on events which I'm attending or have attended and I haven't changed any settings, so I assume that by default most people will get a notification.

Tech Mentor

But that requires people to click "attending" in the first place and then actually go there...

First of all you've probably heard what the different rsvp options actually mean ("no"=stop spamming, "maybe" = no, "yes" = maybe).

Which means many people who said they were attending won't actually be there, and thus won't care about the posts on the event page or who the DJ was.

It also means, they may be a lot of people at a party that never replied to the event invitation on Facebook.

This doesn't mean posting your page to the event page after the gig won't help at all, but you should be aware that the effect of such measures can be quite limited.

Ahh, trying to promote without spamming. In your specific example of bringing things up during conversation, it's always best to give them a reason to follow you on Facebook/Twitter. If you have a calendar or music player linked up with your FB account, you can say "if you want to see where else I'm playing..." or "if you want to check out my latest tracks/mixes..." This works a lot better than, "Did you like my set? Like my page!"

*realized TCMuc already said this*

Whenever you want someone to follow you, there should always be a reason why you're telling/asking them to. Is there a new mix, an upcoming gig, did the person fall in love with you, whatever it is... that's a good reason to promote and it won't ever come off as being desperate or spam. When you're just interjecting it into conversation, that's when it's too much.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast