My DJ mixes sound like podcasts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default My DJ mixes sound like podcasts

So I'm starting to feel like my mixes are sounding more like podcasts, rather than a set that would be played at a club or festival.

I'm pretty sure this is due to only really doing intro/outro mixes, but I can't figure out how to mix in anywhere else. It sounds like poop every single time.

Is it more likely that my song selection was just poor? Or am I just choosing poor places to mix in and out.

I realize this is tough to do without a sample of my stuff, but hopefully I'll get one recorded over the next couple of days.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Perhaps introduce some acapellas and find set loop points.

Tech Guru

I'll look into acapellas. I've been too lazy to Audacity them haha.

So loop points. This is something I still don't quite understand. I've been watching the Pioneer DJ mixes to watch how they use loop points, and it really blows my mind. They make it look so simple.

Let me see if I have some basic concepts down straight.

1) Loop A, use B's build up or something
    2) Lots of effects (which I don't really do yet since I'm not comfortable with the other areas of DJing)
    3) ???
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

What pioneer dj mixes are you watching and are you suggesting cue jumping to skimp accutal mixing and blending of tracks and just drop into another
    Track?

Acapellas are sick! One of my favorites is this. When he mixes in Barrington Levy - Here I Come in to House and then dropped an absolute banger. I got chills.

Besides that, to be honest I think with a DJ set you build it up build it up build it up until you do some absolute bangers. Think of it like a curve, like in Photoshop. Where as radio mixes, podcasts etc. are more like sine waves. You get me?
    Last edited by Daily Crisis; 02-24-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Tech Guru

If your not comfortable with other areas of djing, then adding acapella's and effects in is not going to help?

And over use of effects is never a good thing, do not use them just for the sake of it.

Have you got the basics down like beat matching, EQing, have you learnt about phrasing etc
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

what's wrong with intro/outro mixing? I don't know what kind of music you mix, but I see nothing wrong with that.

As DailyCrisis said, concentrate on the flow of the songs...building up energy, then keeping the music at that energy. (ignore the sine wave comment though, because a sine wave is just a curve up, then a curve down in laymen's terms)

And amadeus is spot on with beat matching, EQing and phrasing as well. If you're phrasing well and planning your sets based on phrasing, you should be able to bring in a new songs break down after the outgoing song's build up as a transition.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Guru

I'm mixing mainstream Trance and House that everyone here loves to hate on :P

I can do intro/outro just fine, but it's just too repetitive for me, and I'm getting bored of it. I want to add more exciting mix ins. I guess when I do intro/outro, I am letting the energy die down too much during the mix in.

And I don't mean slamming in tracks. Still subtle mixes.

Sort of like the armyofme's sweep tutorial. How she loops one track in the chorus and then brings in another build up. It was absolutely flawless.

I wrote this on another thread years ago. Its a HUUUGE generalization but if your having trouble transition in the middle of the song, this should get you on the right track.

"tracks have phrases (such as intros, verses, outros, etc.) note: phRase is not the same as phase
    for a smooth mix you generally want to mix the beginning of one phrase into the beginning of another phrase.

for example:
    track A is in its breakdown and you have track B cued up (volume down and cued in your headphones).
    When track A hits the first beat of it’s phrase (verse, drop, whatever you wana call it ), you should try to land the first beat of track B’s phrase (lets just say the intro) on the first beat of the verse of track A. try to beat match at this point trying to keep the phrases lined up. if you get lost then just try to mix in track B later in the verse.

basically the idea is that when the track A finishes it’s verse and goes into it’s break down, track B will finish it’s intro and go into it’s break down. This is the perfect time for a smooth transition!!

very basic eq tip:
    when you’ve beat matched track B, bring the volume up with the top and bottom eqs all the way down. In most tracks theres usually a short break in the verse where there is no kick drum for a beat/bar. During one of these points in track A, turn the bottom eq of track B up and turn the bottom eq of track A down (this is called swapping the basslines)".

Again. this is a big generalization, but it should give you the right idea.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Convert

What you should do is to learn how to program your set properly with an beginning, middle and end.
    Include drama, transitions, musical changes, creativity and maybe most important play what "feels good" and have fun.
    I think you should also do your "homework" of the tracks you're playing. To know the tracks you're playing makes the programming so much easier.
    Effects is to add another level/dimension to what you already have. So if you don't have your programming "in order" or you don't know your tracks. There isn't a single effect that can save a shitty set.

A god way to start is to listen to a lot of dj sets, both live set and "home made" mixes.
    From this you can learn a lot about programming and timing when making a mix or a live set.
    Try to understand how they have build up their mix or set, what they are adding in terms of effects/accapellas and how they are using them.
    From this you can learn and in the end also "shape" your own way of building sets, adding effects and "work the crowd".

No matter what genre your playing this approche to your mixes or livesets will help you alot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast