An introduction thread + setup help request..
    Tech Convert

Default An introduction thread + setup help request..

This is a second post, the last one got missed and I am sorry to say I cannot really be bothered retyping that whole story again

Long story short: I started to DJ about a year ago got a denon mc3000 controller and traktor. Have also learned to beatmatch using a mates setup and also enjoy that from time to time.

Fast forward a year: I am now in the market to get a mixer and my eyes have fallen on the Xone 92, DB2, 4D

I went to a local store today and the person there said don't get a db2 it does not have midi capabilities and even with a X1 or K2 you won't have enough control over all of Traktor...

He advised me 4D instead.

What I basically want: I want to be able to use traktor with 3 sample decks + 1 remix (I have a F1)
    I want to be able to also connect two CDJ to the mixer for those moments that I prefer to mix like that as well.

4D Does seem to be the full package.. Xone 92 + audio 10 = almost same as DB4 and the DB2 is more modern, has firmware updates as well.

With the DB2 I will not be able to use traktor internal if I understand this correct as there is limited midi capability ?

Any help would be welcome.

Hi and welcome to DJTT. Your first few posts have to be approved by the moderators, so your other post is up now.

As for your questions, sorry I can't help, but some one will. As this is the weekend, it could be Monday before some one responds.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Hi and welcome to DJTT. Your first few posts have to be approved by the moderators, so your other post is up now.

As for your questions, sorry I can't help, but some one will. As this is the weekend, it could be Monday before some one responds.

Thanks for the welcome, when I typed up my first post I didnt notice the mod approval. Saw the second time though. I guess most folks are busy gigging as its weekend

sidenote: Good to see the forums are being actively moderated, keeps things civil and productive !

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I went to a local store today and the person there said don't get a db2 it does not have midi capabilities and even with a X1 or K2 you won't have enough control over all of Traktor...

He advised me 4D instead.
    Well he obviously didn't have a clue what he was talking about and probably trying to offload old stock, however there is a grain of truth to what he says.

The DB2 on its own would definitely not be ideal for traktor on its own, paired with a K2 (via xlink), F1 or X1 though and you would have a serious setup.

From Allen and Heath
    MIDI CONTROL
    All controls (except Mic and Phones level) send MIDI data. The mixer can double up as a MIDI controller for DJ software via the MIDI shift button, which allows the FX selection controls to send MIDI data without changing the mixer settings. DB2 can generate internal MIDI clock which can be used to control the tempo of a connected DAW via USB and the ability to change the mixers MIDI channel.
    So there is no reason why you could not use all the midi features of the mixer for traktor, but honestly it would seem to be a complete waste of a brilliant mixer to mix internally on it.

The 4D, while older is really the full package (abet a big one!) + timecode certified which the DB is not should you want to go down that route at a later date, but you sacrifice the effects units on the DB

Its also analogue mixer section as well rather than digital on the DB2 which some (myself included) kinda prefer.

Personally I'm not an effects guy so the 4D would be my choice given the price is exactly the same at this stage and you mention using CDJ's,via timecode I assume, which would add a few hundred $ and pain in the ass setup if you had to buy an Audio6 - but it is older technology and certainly does not have as much visual LED feedback as the likes of the K2.

More modern does not always equal more reliability or functionality, just more pretty lights, lighter chassis and effects units (which you already have in traktor anyhow)

My 2 cents