Mixer to Midi Device
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mixer to Midi Device

Hello everyone! I wanted to get some other people's input on something. I have created a prototype for a device that allows any 2 channel mixer to send midi. It works relatively well, and I will probably show a video of it in action once I reduce the jumpiness a bit.

Would anyone here be interested in something like that? How would you use it?

I would love to know what people think about it. Thanks in advance!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Interested: yes and I'm sure Im not the only one depending how reliable it is and what additional setup is required.

How does it operate ? A variation of a timecode signal to midi ?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JudemanG View Post
    I have created a prototype for a device that allows any 2 channel mixer to send midi.
    To send midi what?

Midi data like controller information or midi clock like tempo information?

If you're talking about the latter: how is the clock generated? Automated beatcounter that gives out the result as a midi clock, manual tapping + nudging via encoders?

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    To send midi what?

Midi data like controller information or midi clock like tempo information?

If you're talking about the latter: how is the clock generated? Automated beatcounter that gives out the result as a midi clock, manual tapping + nudging via encoders?
    It sends controller information.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Interested: yes and I'm sure Im not the only one depending how reliable it is and what additional setup is required.

How does it operate ? A variation of a timecode signal to midi ?
    It's similar to timecode in a way. It sends a signal on the left channel of channel 1, and the right channel of channel 2. It receives the signals on the other side through the master out. It then measures the levels of the signals on the left and right channels and converts them to midi CCs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudemanG View Post
    It's similar to timecode in a way. It sends a signal on the left channel of channel 1, and the right channel of channel 2. It receives the signals on the other side through the master out. It then measures the levels of the signals on the left and right channels and converts them to midi CCs.
    Makes sense - from there I guess you could calibrate other mixer controls, only problem is you would be limited to volume/eq's correct ?

once I reduce the jumpiness a bit.
    If I remember rightly the jumpiness was one of the reasons that timecode used an out of phase stereo signal ?

Makes sense - from there I guess you could calibrate other mixer controls, only problem is you would be limited to volume/eq's correct ? If I remember rightly the jumpiness was one of the reasons that timecode used an out of phase stereo signal ?
    Yes it's only volume and EQs. You're right about the timecode. I am trying to find another way, as the device depends on using mono outputs.

Hmmm

Given that you are going to need quite a few devices to give you very limited midi functionality I'm not too sure what kinda uptake this would have considering you can get a pretty decent 2ch mixer with Midi and a built in sound card for under $200 and a 4ch pure midi mixer for a measly $100 with lots more going on.

Its a cool proof of concept, but can't see it as much more than that I'm afraid. I think you are trying to find a solution to which there is no problem

Tech Mentor

I think its a pretty cool concept. Maybe as a retrofit to use an old mixer as with a DAW. Maybe you like the feel of an old Urei mixer but would like to use it with ableton.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Hmmm

Given that you are going to need quite a few devices to give you very limited midi functionality I'm not too sure what kinda uptake this would have considering you can get a pretty decent 2ch mixer with Midi and a built in sound card for under $200 and a 4ch pure midi mixer for a measly $100 with lots more going on.

Its a cool proof of concept, but can't see it as much more than that I'm afraid. I think you are trying to find a solution to which there is no problem
    I understand completely, and this is a proof of concept, but I still think some people might have a use for it. This is aimed more for people who have mixers, and want to try digital without having to pay a huge amount. Building the prototype only cost 26 dollars so far. When finished it will still be under 50 dollars. Also, on an unrelated note, I forgot to mention that the cue buttons also send midi, and I'm also working on sending 4 channels by alternating the signals.
    Last edited by JudemanG; 03-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast