I Want to Learn to Mix on CDJ's - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    They are MIDI controllers with all the controls of a CDJ.
    Would I not still need a mixer then???
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Yes, you would need a mixer.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Isn't your K2 your mixer currently?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I own a XDJ-R1 and it was my unit of choice because it is cheaper than 350s (bought it used for 50% off the retail price), supports rekordbox and has a brilliant set of features. Of course you won't get everything for only $450, but it only has a very few downsides (like smaller pitch faders: not too much of a deal for me, and no manual looping (only auto beat loop), which is fine with me as well) and some great features (like hot cues, which can only be found on CDJ 2000s and the XDJ-R1!). Just have a look at it on pioneerdj.com and ask any remaining questions

All I did was buy 800's, use em with CD and Traktor and I have my tunes loaded into Rekordbox on a few flash drives. Learned to beatmatch with CDs, now I can plug and play with a usb and it works out well. Never had the cash for a set of CDJs that take USB yet lol.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Why do you suggest NOT using Rekord Box? I really like the way it seems to work! I'd either go DJM-350 or 250 it seems like, I love the 350 for all its cool features with USB recording and all that, but I love the 250 for the XLR outs and a filter on each channel.

The way it seems to work is absolutely perfect. I would love if it worked so flawlessly like it seems, but, very sadly, it doesn't.

You said you wanted something cheap, so the 200s were the first thing that came in my head, as I don't see rekordbox as a valid way of playing in a real-life-crowded-club situation, why? Because I've had many problems with it, and saw many people having many problems with it too.

Today I use no-rekordbox usb sticks and never had any problem ever, with any usb-stick or any cdj, with any track (using WAV).

If money is not such a problem then buy the 350s and test rekordbox. But be aware that the rekordboxed USB-stick that you may use flawlessly on your 350s may not work fine (or even work!) on the clubs CDJs, which will most probably not be 350s.

So if the big reason of all this is being versatile I would focus on not using rekordbox, because, if anything goes wrong, I can guarantee you a FAT-32 formatted USB-Stick filled with WAV and no-rekordbox WILL NOT let you down
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Mentor

Rekordbox is the standard application for about every professional DJ out there that doesn't use software or vinyl, so it should be good enough for the OP as well...

Personally, I've never had any problems with it and I also can't remember reading/hearing about DJs having trouble mid set on any festival/club stage due to Rekordbox errors.

So if you want to go the CDJ route, get some CDJ 350 and probably a DJM 250, which will give you the opportunity to practice and learn everything important about CDJs and Rekordbox.

If you should decide to completely switch to CDJs you can still upgrade your kit.

You probably should consider buying used. Pioneer gear is pretty sturdy, so the stuff you buy should be fine, also the prices are quite stable, so you won't lose too much money if you should decide to upgrade in the future.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Rekordbox is the standard application for about every professional DJ out there that doesn't use software or vinyl
    I've had the pleasure to be inside the booth with some big names such as 2manydjs and gramophonedzie and you would be surprised to know how many times I saw that beautiful red alert of the CDJs saying there is no rekordbox info in the USB-stick.

I'm not saying it's a complete disaster, but some people just don't want to be on a situation where things don't work.

One funny fact that grinds my gears is that Rekordbox is actually made by Mixvibes, the company that makes the Cross DJ software. And you can see here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/01/1...-2014-edition/ that the key detection of the iPad (!) version of Cross DJ is significantly better than Rekordbox's one.....The software that is the responsible for all the advanced features of the new CDJs has a worse key detection than the iPad app from the same company. Also Rekorbox's key detection happens to be one of the worst around....
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Yes, you would need a mixer.
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Isn't your K2 your mixer currently?
    Yes, I now see what you mean! I want to be completely away from Traktor and all that, just straight CDJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post
    I own a XDJ-R1 and it was my unit of choice because it is cheaper than 350s (bought it used for 50% off the retail price), supports rekordbox and has a brilliant set of features. Of course you won't get everything for only $450, but it only has a very few downsides (like smaller pitch faders: not too much of a deal for me, and no manual looping (only auto beat loop), which is fine with me as well) and some great features (like hot cues, which can only be found on CDJ 2000s and the XDJ-R1!). Just have a look at it on pioneerdj.com and ask any remaining questions
    Now THAT is interesting, from your point, how does it differ from using separate CDJ's and a mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    All I did was buy 800's, use em with CD and Traktor and I have my tunes loaded into Rekordbox on a few flash drives. Learned to beatmatch with CDs, now I can plug and play with a usb and it works out well. Never had the cash for a set of CDJs that take USB yet lol.
    Personally I'd be pretty nervous about never getting to test those drives until a show. I LOVE the idea (called me old school or superficial) of seeing a DJ flip through a little book of CD's though, i really want to learn to mix on CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    The way it seems to work is absolutely perfect. I would love if it worked so flawlessly like it seems, but, very sadly, it doesn't.

You said you wanted something cheap, so the 200s were the first thing that came in my head, as I don't see rekordbox as a valid way of playing in a real-life-crowded-club situation, why? Because I've had many problems with it, and saw many people having many problems with it too.

Today I use no-rekordbox usb sticks and never had any problem ever, with any usb-stick or any cdj, with any track (using WAV).

If money is not such a problem then buy the 350s and test rekordbox. But be aware that the rekordboxed USB-stick that you may use flawlessly on your 350s may not work fine (or even work!) on the clubs CDJs, which will most probably not be 350s.

So if the big reason of all this is being versatile I would focus on not using rekordbox, because, if anything goes wrong, I can guarantee you a FAT-32 formatted USB-Stick filled with WAV and no-rekordbox WILL NOT let you down
    That is actually a question I have, how would things like the "Beat Grid" and "BPM Lock" work with NON-Rekord Box USB's?

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Rekordbox is the standard application for about every professional DJ out there that doesn't use software or vinyl, so it should be good enough for the OP as well...

Personally, I've never had any problems with it and I also can't remember reading/hearing about DJs having trouble mid set on any festival/club stage due to Rekordbox errors.

So if you want to go the CDJ route, get some CDJ 350 and probably a DJM 250, which will give you the opportunity to practice and learn everything important about CDJs and Rekordbox.

If you should decide to completely switch to CDJs you can still upgrade your kit.

You probably should consider buying used. Pioneer gear is pretty sturdy, so the stuff you buy should be fine, also the prices are quite stable, so you won't lose too much money if you should decide to upgrade in the future.
    I'll look around for some used stuff maybe! I asked the guy above you, as I want to learn Rekord Box USB's, NON-Rekord Box USB's and CD's, HOW do NON-RB USB's behave in a CDJ???

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    I've had the pleasure to be inside the booth with some big names such as 2manydjs and gramophonedzie and you would be surprised to know how many times I saw that beautiful red alert of the CDJs saying there is no rekordbox info in the USB-stick.

I'm not saying it's a complete disaster, but some people just don't want to be on a situation where things don't work.

One funny fact that grinds my gears is that Rekordbox is actually made by Mixvibes, the company that makes the Cross DJ software. And you can see here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/01/1...-2014-edition/ that the key detection of the iPad (!) version of Cross DJ is significantly better than Rekordbox's one.....The software that is the responsible for all the advanced features of the new CDJs has a worse key detection than the iPad app from the same company. Also Rekorbox's key detection happens to be one of the worst around....
    I don't use key mixing a whole hell of a lot but if I do want to, would I run them through say MIK and then put them into Rekord Box for better Key Dect?
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Guru

That is actually a question I have, how would things like the "Beat Grid" and "BPM Lock" work with NON-Rekord Box USB's?
    You shouldn't be concerned with grids and BPM info if you're trying to learn how to mix on CDJs.

I'll look around for some used stuff maybe! I asked the guy above you, as I want to learn Rekord Box USB's, NON-Rekord Box USB's and CD's, HOW do NON-RB USB's behave in a CDJ???
    Non-RB USBs generate their waveform and BPM as you progress through the track. You also have to browse the file structure rather than browsing by metadata in the tags.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast