Show Report: Excision.....How far can music get?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

150dB is around the level of a space shuttle taking off. That's enough sound to kill you.
    Are you sure it was 150dB?
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Tech Mentor

Meh...The loudness war continues. Makes me wonder if DJs/Producers these days even realize that they are making/playing music for human hearing? Why not just walk out unto the dancefloor and hit people in the head with a baseball bat? You know people once danced to disco and it wasn't deafening and people had a good time.

Why not just walk out unto the dancefloor and hit people in the head with a baseball bat? You know people once danced to disco and it wasn't deafening and people had a good time.
    when are people going to realize that the difference in electronic music genres are just as drastic as the differences in regular music genres? Compairing brostep to disco is about the same as compairing punk rock to polka, which is like compairing apples to vaginas....

Most people are not going to see excision to dance on a dance floor. They are going for loud fast music to mosh in the pit too. If its not for you then keep moving....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    when are people going to realize that the difference in electronic music genres are just as drastic as the differences in regular music genres? Compairing brostep to disco is about the same as compairing punk rock to polka, which is like compairing apples to vaginas....

Most people are not going to see excision to dance on a dance floor. They are going for loud fast music to mosh in the pit too. If its not for you then keep moving....
    So somehow that's an excuse for music played at beyond deafening levels? Point I was trying to make is that Dj's/clubs don't need to be playing music that loud. If it's painful, if it can cause serious hearing damage in under 5min, what in any sense of positivity is trying to be achieved by playing music at ridiculously loud levels? Sell more earplugs...Or hearing aids? Just because you can play music well beyond human hearing threshold doesn't mean you should. Unless it's a night for the deaf who need to feel the music like a sledgehammer through the chest in order to dance in time with the beat.

Quote Originally Posted by safefire View Post
    150dB is around the level of a space shuttle taking off. That's enough sound to kill you.
    Are you sure it was 150dB?
    Well you shouldn't call anyone out unless you know what ur talking about lmao..

150db is as loud as a rock concert, so considering this is bass music and the damaging sounds of the ear are in the higher frequency and electronic music is mostly bass music...

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

PK bass is pretty intense eh bro? A lot of the festivals over here have been rocking them for awhile, Im not really proud to say it but excision, downlink and datsik are from my town.. But also stickybuds and jpod so you win some you lose some.

that's what you get at a brostep rave

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Well you shouldn't call anyone out unless you know what ur talking about lmao..

150db is as loud as a rock concert, so considering this is bass music and the damaging sounds of the ear are in the higher frequency and electronic music is mostly bass music...

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

PK bass is pretty intense eh bro? A lot of the festivals over here have been rocking them for awhile, Im not really proud to say it but excision, downlink and datsik are from my town.. But also stickybuds and jpod so you win some you lose some.
    According to your link, a rock concert is 115dB, not 150. Also, it says that >140dB is dangerous even with hearing protection.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay
    ...stickybuds and jpod...
    DEFINITELY two winners there.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Haha, did you hear about the Gainesville debacle? Our promoter couldn't get a venue and generator powerful enough on the day of and Excision just picked up and left.

I wanted to see ill.gates and Dirtyphonics, but I don't care for Excision. Or getting my hearing wrecked. I don't think it's safe even with ear plugs.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Wow ... 150,000w ... Are we talking RMS or Peak because there are plenty of people who pull big numbers out of "somewhere" ... And how big was the venue, how many people?

That's a lot of grunt ... I've heard that much in a few instances but the one that comes to mind is when Warp Brothers played at an overnight rave (because that's what they were back then) at Godskitchen, Vodafone Arena Melbourne Two Tribes 2003 ... Nexo Alpha system, 6 amp racks of 4 x Vortex-6 in each, 9 x S2, 24 x B1, 24 x M3 ... and even then it's only 144,000w RMS!

Anyhow, not really into Excision's style of music either ... but very happy to hear a big system provided it's not just someone pushing everything into distorted square-waved amp and processor clipping shite ... but I too will bring my plugs
    Last edited by frankle; 03-13-2014 at 07:00 AM.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast