Looking to upgrade, please talk me out of it!
    Tech Mentor

Default Looking to upgrade, please talk me out of it!

Currently I'm running into all kinds of limitations in my current setup (Mixtrack Pro II, X1 Mk2 and F1 using mainly Traktor Pro 2, sometimes Cross DJ 3).
    - I really wish I had filters on analog buttons available at all times.
    - My pitch fader is pretty short which hampers my riding the pitch because it's hard to find the correct pitch by ear on such a short stroke.
    - The endless encoders on the Mixtrack annoy the crap out of me.
    - So does the limitation on the pad mode to just the bottom four pads
    - Four deck controls would also be nice.

All of this can be somewhat managed: I can switch to midi mode on my F1 for analog filters, I have a button combination to switch between different pitch ranges on the Mixtrack Pro II, my X1 controls the main effects, I'm working on a mapping to enhance the pad functionality (almost done, I'll share it when it's finished) and four deck controls are available via the X1 and sacrificing the scratch buttons on the Mixtrack to act as A/C and B/D switches.

None of this feels easy, intuitive and fun. I have to really think about button combinations and plan ahead which settings I use so that I don't get stuck. I do think that it might get better with practise though. What also puts me on the edge is a cashback offer on a ddj-sr which makes it €499...
    So I have two options: Upgrade and get more functionality which lets me focus on the music more and run the risk of getting stuck again or stick with it for a while to see if it gets better and maybe have a better idea and/or more options in terms of gear. I've only had my Mixtrack for about 9 months, I really feel like I'm moving too fast...
    What do you guys think?

Tech Guru

The SR is a decent controller, but the pitch faders still aren't full length like on the SX.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I have no experience with cdj's or turntables, I just think the mixtrack's are a little too short to be pitch riding with.