Is Itunes retagging my genres?
    Tech Guru

Default Is Itunes retagging my genres?

While going through my music collection I have found stuff that was part of an album from say "House-Electro" genre has been retagged as "Blues". I know that I never did this tag and doubt that someone has been sneaking into my room and changing the odd track on any given album to a random genre. Is it possible that Itunes was doing this via genius or something?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I know a problem I was running into was if I changed the genre in iTunes it wouldn't hold to the track. So when I'd play it in iTunes, after retagging it, it would change back to the original genre before I tagged it.

Now, if I added it in Traktor through the iTunes tag, and wrote the tag in Traktor, this wouldn't happen. It was very weird.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

I have seen this happen also, wondering now if I have just had this happen many times without realizing it.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

I have seen this too, multiple times, sometimes with files I have changed and other times with files that were imported with tags already there. Always to "Blues" too... I wonder if this is a known bug in iTunes?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Blues is, if I remember correctly, the genre that a lot of encoders default to because it is the first in their very long, non-alphabetized list. So it could have something to do with how you are ripping your music.

I'd say, add the track to Traktor, change the genre in iTunes and see if it holds (just play the track again). Then change it in Traktor and play it in iTunes and see what happens.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall