Tiny monitor speakers, 4" and below
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Tiny monitor speakers, 4" and below

I'm tempted by a pair of tiny monitor speakers for my decks.

Has anyone used 4" speakers and are they any good? Specifically, Tannoy have bought out the 402B model, which at £105 each sounds like good value. Anyone tried these?

Looks like the other options are KRK VXT4 and Genelec 8020A, both much more pricey but favourable reviews.

I'm lucky to have a big pair of 8" monitors for my work but they're at the other side of my room -- totally the wrong position for mixing. So just looking for something to complement them at my decks. Either one or a pair, and they don't have to be totally flat response or anything, just good speakers for a bit of a DJ mix.

So yeah, 4" monitors, or even 3" ... any experiences? Thanks.

Tech Guru

You won't have any bass, but the highs and mids should sound good from those.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

If the 8inch monitors are in the same room you can use just the small speakers as sound reinforcement or you could run a small sub to complement the 4inch speakers.

Tech Mentor

makar id beg to differ on the no bass from 4" drivers if anything if they are designed correctly the bass may not be totally accurate but it is present in any of the 4" driver based monitor speakers i have ever experienced (fostex pm0.4, focal cms40s)

I've had the Genelec 8020's and was very happy with them, even knocking out 2dB of low end because of where I positioned them near a wall. Reasonably happy with the bass but before I was able to add the 7050 sub (which sounds amazing but very expensive) they were "unlawfully removed" from my house ...

With my insurance payout I upgraded to 8030's which sound essentially the same but have a little more depth in the low end. I have however changed again, now running (due to desk space, I had to downsize) 6010's with the 5051 sub under the new desk, which is an extremely good sound, crisp tops and very solid bass! I would have loved to go with the 8020's and 5051 sub but I didn't even have space for them so settled on the 6010's.

So in short, if it's good sound you're after in a small package (and your budget allows) then I can recommend the 8020's.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

i rock these, in my dj setup in my apartment, they are awesome!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/m-audio-...FYZAMgodd2gArQ

Tech Guru

Tannoys are nice. I found that their bigger 6" monitor were kinda muddy though. All a matter of opinion. I love my Mackie.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Convert

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'm getting a good vibe about the 4" speakers.

Thinking I might take the plunge on one of the Tannoy 402B, I can order a second later if it might be beneficial. It's a respectable name, and there's plenty of competition at this end of the market. I've used the Tannoy 501A elsewhere and was happy. My use doesn't really justify an upgrade to the Genelecs.

Still definitely interested to hear if anyone has tried these new Tannoy 402B.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    i rock these, in my dj setup in my apartment, they are awesome!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/m-audio-...FYZAMgodd2gArQ
    I have these as well. They're great.

Tech Guru

I don't see much point in ordering just one monitor. Can you not test them out in the store or returning them if they don't fit your needs?
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast