Starting Out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Out

Default Starting Out

Hi, Hope this is in the right place but I want to get started with DJing, and I wondered what a good place to start would be, I would like it to be controller based, I was thinking maybe the NI Traktor Kontrol Z1, does it come with a copy of traktor? Thanks

Jake

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

The Z1 does come bundled with Traktor LE (this isn't the full version of the software). Given that you're just starting out it might make sense to download the demo of Traktor and get accustomed to the software with that before buying the Z1.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    The Z1 does come bundled with Traktor LE (this isn't the full version of the software). Given that you're just starting out it might make sense to download the demo of Traktor and get accustomed to the software with that before buying the Z1.
    Ok thanks, are there any good tutorials you recommend to get me started?

Yes, pick the software you want to use before getting the controller. Serato and Traktor are the most popular and both have free demo downloads.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jakesaunders27 View Post
    Ok thanks, are there any good tutorials you recommend to get me started?
    Ellaskins on Youtube has some really good tutorials, both for traktor and DJing in general:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins/
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

The LE version is okay for starting out, but you definitely want to get Pro.

You could wait for a special though. Currently Traktor Pro is free with purchase of an X1 MK2, and IIRC the Z1 also had that offer available a while ago.

I think the deals change on a monthly basis, but they also have weekly specials too.

Thanks for all your responses will look at the videos and hang on for some offers!

Tech Wizard

I would recommend getting an F1 with DJ Endo's Traktor 4-deck mapping. I have used Ableton for years and saw his youtube video and was immediately sold on the F1 and Traktor. Best part is you can upgrade to anything and still use your F1. I personally bought a second F1 and use the Tekken effects mapping and am having so much fun I don't plan to upgrade unless a Z4 or something crazy comes out.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Yes, pick the software you want to use before getting the controller. Serato and Traktor are the most popular and both have free demo downloads.
    ...although you can't actually DJ with the SSL/SDJ demos. They only allow one deck.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    ...although you can't actually DJ with the SSL/SDJ demos. They only allow one deck.
    Are you certain? I think my friend uses Serato DJ Intro to DJ (2 decks) and the webpage doesn't say anything about only one deck being allowed? I might be missing something, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast