External Displays
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default External Displays

Hey guys,

I recently started setting up my studio and I realized I wanted to use one of my smaller TV's as an external display for my MacBook Pro Retina (current generation). The main reason I wanted to do this was because I wanted to be able to have more desktop real estate to work with, but since i've connected the two together it still displays everything in the same resolution that it did on my MBPr. Is there anyway to make the external TV act as if it has more real estate then my computers screens? Basically what i'm looking for is to be able to easily fit more items and view more things on my external TV screen.

I'm connecting the TV & laptop via HDMI. The TV is a 2009 32' samsung hdtv.

Any & all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tech Guru

Do you mean it displays the exact same things as your laptop screen? Your TV will only support up to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 depending on model, which isn't much real estate on a screen of that size.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Do you mean it displays the exact same things as your laptop screen? Your TV will only support up to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 depending on model, which isn't much real estate on a screen of that size.
    Damn. If I buy a proper computer monitor then I will be able to change the real estate?

Tech Wizard

If you have a MBP, and have a healthy bank account, consider one of these babys:

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC...isplay-27-inch

I'd love one in my little setup.

Tech Mentor

Why would one buy an Apple monitor? If you have too much spare money give it to charity. If you need a 27" display with high resolution get one on amazon for about half the price of apples with almost the same features. Even if you feel like needing to spend twice the money: Don't get the Apple one, get two others. (Be aware that you might need extra hardware in that case since MBPs only support one external display I think.)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post
    Why would one buy an Apple monitor? If you have too much spare money give it to charity. If you need a 27" display with high resolution get one on amazon for about half the price of apples with almost the same features. Even if you feel like needing to spend twice the money: Don't get the Apple one, get two others. (Be aware that you might need extra hardware in that case since MBPs only support one external display I think.)
    For myself, because i could hook a couple of controllers that stay in there perminantly to the screen, and keep my portable setup more portable. Also it has a magsafe, which its handy. More over, they are a great looking piece of equipment. If you would like to argue that, be my guest, but i think they are a well crafted monitor. Since you know more than me, and i mean that sincerely and in no way sarcastically, would you like to share with us a better option?

Tech Guru

If you're on a budget, you could get a Korean 1440p IPS monitor (same resolution as the Apple display) for around 1/4 the price.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Shut the lid on your macbook, if your connected to an extrnal monier it wont put it to sleep but it will then change the screen size to fit your external monitor.
    Parts
    Technics 1210//CDJ400//DDM4000//X1//Audio 10//MBP 15" Mid 2012

Tech Guru

be careful with these cheaper panels - they are fantastic and generally have the same display as the apple product but there are a few differences. the cheaper monitors require a really good gfx card - I have 2 of them here and they only work with my desktop computers that have expensive video cards in them. I have tried these 2 panels on a MacBook Pro 17" and a MackBook Pro 13" and neither work - so just be careful if you go this route to ensure it will be compatible.

edit: the displays that I have are Crossover 27QW and Crossover 27Q
    Last edited by GeekGod; 03-17-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: clarify the panels I own

Tech Guru

There are versions that come with Displayport input and should be compatible with Macbooks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast