QUESTION: Incorporating live instruments into a dj set.
    Tech Wizard

Default QUESTION: Incorporating live instruments into a dj set.

hey hey, so my set up is two audio technica at-lp120 turntables + a kontrol z2 mixer, I've got a buddy who is amazing at guitar and i want to incorporate him into my sets by playing over top of some tracks. Does anyone have any advice on how this could happen? is additional equipment needed or is it possible with what i have.

anything helps!

cheers

Tech Mentor

You could put it in the aux channel. As long as you are able to control the volume of the guitar in any way it should work with your current set. Make sure the background music (yours) is not too busy when he's playing so that the guitar takes center stage and the audience doesn't get lost in all the noise. Armin van Buuren did the same thing with his brother, I'm sure there's a recording of it. It sounds really good when done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    Armin van Buuren did the same thing with his brother, I'm sure there's a recording of it. It sounds really good when done properly.
    AIDZ, if your looking for footage to get you pumped up, check out some Gramatik videos...

Tech Mentor

This weekend I had a guy with a sax playing along side me. It was mostly house from 123-126bpm so no bangers. The guy was insanely talented and would match the melodies in some of the tracks I played, to add a whole new element. All he did was plug his little panel with a mic into one of my channels and it was done. A bit of testing to make sure he didn't overpower my music and all it took was a few minutes. It's REALLY fun, you can even practice before hand to really come up with some cool ideas. Have fun with it!