How do you record your club sets?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How do you record your club sets?

Hey guys,

I am trying to find out what gear you use to record your sets when you play out?

Currently I am doing the following but I am running into very disappointing issues with the recorder I use:

- mixing externally
    - plugging Zoom H2N recorder into mixer RCA rec output via RCA and minijack input (line) in recorder

Regardless how low or high the incoming levels are set on the recorder it sounds completely distorted on the kicks.
    The mixers levels are always just below the red and the channels are set just like it. Input levels on recording device is low enough not to distort or be too soft, horrific results though...

HOW DO YOU DO IT?
    Finest Electronic Dance Music

www.januaryone.dj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

How high/low are the channel gains set in Traktor,? Even mixing externally you can control each Traktor channel individually so might be clipping before even getting to your mixer.

I think he's talking about using CDJs / vinyl. If he was using Traktor, he could just run the mixer session out into the Traktor sound card (physically if audio 6/8/10 or virtually if DJM-900 etc) and use Traktors recording feature.

Anyways, I am also looking for a compact / quality / inexpensive way to record my CDJ live sets.

Tech Mentor

Hey guys,

Traktor levels are decent, before clipping. If the general Traktor output would be distorting that would most certainly be heard once it comes out the mixer wouldnt it? In any case, the signal coming out of the mixer going into PA is clean. Only issues is distortion on recording unit.

Thanks DJ SB, actually very good idea. I am currently only using two channels hence Audio2 is working out perfect for me, but this could actually be an option should I upgrade to Audio6, good idea. Otherwise my tech shop reckons I should get an inline attenuators like this one: http://www.fostexinternational.com/d.../PC-1eBW.shtml

Could be worth a try, what you reckon?
    Finest Electronic Dance Music

www.januaryone.dj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Traktor levels are decent, before clipping. If the general Traktor output would be distorting that would most certainly be heard once it comes out the mixer wouldnt it?
    Correct - but theres a fair share of people who would not notice peoples ears beeding on the dance floor from a crunchy bassline, so had to ask

Just Strange that you mention:

The mixers levels are always just below the red and the channels are set just like it.
    Input levels on recording device is low enough not to distort or be too soft, horrific results though...
    Have you tried just a basic line level device directly into the Zoom, e.g. CD player, just to ensure that its not either

A dodgy input on the Zoom
    A dodgy Record output on the mixer
    Dodgy Cables

If its clipping anywhere along the signal path, there should not be distortion of any kind on the recording - so before shelling out $30 on a volume knob....

Im not too familiar with the zoom, but there isn't a pre-amp switch on the input or simultaneous microphone recording or anything that could be enabled ?
    Last edited by deevey; 03-24-2014 at 05:11 AM.

I use a zoom h4n and have never had issue... I always plug my headphones into it to hear what it hears first and always sounds fine...

Is it the same club you have issue in? Does it work at home set up? Is it set to WAV / MP3?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I record into Audacity, I just set my laptop up somewhere out of sight. I'd like to get one of those small recorders though, soon enough.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

I have both a Zoom H2 (the older one), and an H4N. I use them both in exactly this way, and never had an issue.

My H2 is left at home, connected up semi-permanently to the record out of my Rane MP-2016 using an RCA->1/8" mini line cable.

My H4N is the one I take with me. I still use record out of whatever mixer it is (usually a DJM-800 or 900), RCA->two 1/4" jacks into the H4N.

You set the input gain in the menu, and not the mic gain on the side, correct?

On mine (the H4n, out of memory), when I hit "record" the first time I can see the levels on the recorder, and adjust it using the up/down arrow buttons, then hit record to start the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by JanuaryOne View Post
    Thanks DJ SB, actually very good idea. I am currently only using two channels hence Audio2 is working out perfect for me, but this could actually be an option should I upgrade to Audio6, good idea.
    On my home setup (Technics, DJM-909, Audio 6) routing the mixer session out to the 3rd in on the Audio 6 and setting the session level according to Traktors recorder level indicator works flawlessly so if you do upgrade, problem solved.

For me, I only play on Turntables (and bring my laptop) to a handful of venues and I'd like to be able to record my CDJ live sets without dropping > $200 on a recording device haha.

Tech Guru

Looks like you're not the only one having trouble with the H2n. I'd guess that the line input is designed for consumer level (-10dBV) audio.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...s-and-line-in/
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast