[Other] Tracklists, or should I say lack of.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Tracklists, or should I say lack of.

A lot of mixes being posted recently with no track list.

I think I speak for most here, that if there's no track list, I won't listen.

Now, I do like to listen to the occasional mix, always good when doing the washing up, and I will give honest feedback when I've listened.

If you don't want to give away those tracks you've dug for, then why not just post a track list of the artists or labels those tracks are from.

Just don't put... Here's my new mix tell me what you think. Cause I, and many others just won't.

So please, start putting track lists!!
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    t... Here's my new mix tell me what you think.
    this completely burns my buttons (not sure where i got that saying from but i just said it so lets move on)

yes i cant stand that and its always from someone who posts posts posts and then complains that no one replied
    but the funny thing is... they too have no replied to anyone else.

They are commonly the ones i find on LinkedIn who do the same.
    They start a group or join a group
    then create a new discussion in the Ableton Live area
    and the subject is
    soundcloud.com/myDJname/myMix Check out this mix and support it!!!!

uhh ok, but why arent u doing the same in return?

the point is, a while ago djs would share tracklists since they couldnt actually always GIVE away their vinyl when they meet someone, so, you ask..... "whats that track?" and now uv got new info. a new artist. a new direction of music / path to follow. It helps you GROW as a dj

now take that same situation and turn it around
    What if the dj you asked NEVER gave out any information? but they want you to run to the bar and buy drinks for he and his friends..... because you are supposed to SUPPORT them with no return.

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    A lot of mixes being posted recently with no track list.

I think I speak for most here, that if there's no track list, I won't listen.

Now, I do like to listen to the occasional mix, always good when doing the washing up, and I will give honest feedback when I've listened.

If you don't want to give away those tracks you've dug for, then why not just post a track list of the artists or labels those tracks are from.

Just don't put... Here's my new mix tell me what you think. Cause I, and many others just won't.

So please, start putting track lists!!
    There are a few reasons why I don't attach a tracklist to my sets. First, it gets people talking. I've noticed that listeners will interact with themselves when trying to figure out what a track is. From the uploader's perspective, that's a good thing. Second, you're not giving anything away to the (local) competition. I spend a great deal of time digging for music and I'm not going to just hand it over to a hack who doesn't put the work in. Third, it makes people wonder what's in the set. I'm less likely to listen to a set if I see a tracklist and recognize all of the tunes in it. At least without a tracklist, there's an element of mystery.

I will say, though, that I'm happy to send people the tracklist if they ask for it, and I'll gladly give someone the name of a tune if they just want to know that. When I promote my podcast here on DJTT, I provide a tracklist. But on SoundCloud, I kind of like to keep people guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by biutze View Post
    There are a few reasons why I don't attach a tracklist to my sets. First, it gets people talking. I've noticed that listeners will interact with themselves when trying to figure out what a track is. From the uploader's perspective, that's a good thing. Second, you're not giving anything away to the (local) competition. I spend a great deal of time digging for music and I'm not going to just hand it over to a hack who doesn't put the work in. Third, it makes people wonder what's in the set. I'm less likely to listen to a set if I see a tracklist and recognize all of the tunes in it. At least without a tracklist, there's an element of mystery.

I will say, though, that I'm happy to send people the tracklist if they ask for it, and I'll gladly give someone the name of a tune if they just want to know that. When I promote my podcast here on DJTT, I provide a tracklist. But on SoundCloud, I kind of like to keep people guessing.
    I think OP was talking about the people that want constructive criticism or advice on their mixes, not necessarily people that are established and already have a following on places like mixcloud and soundcloud. You're right in that it may provoke discussion by users on mixcloud or soundcloud with no tracklisting, however I still see plenty of people asking for track IDs on sets with tracklists - and this is usually only the case for mixes posted by people with established followings.

I kind of like what amadeus did in his last mix post, which was just list the labels, and am considering doing the same, or maybe just the artist. It will cause those who like the tunes to dig a little and perhaps find some more great music other than that I put in my mix.

But onto the original point. I follow too many people on soundcloud, mixcloud and youtube. I have a list of mixes to check out that are 100 deep, and these are mixes I'm pretty confident I'm going to like. I'm not going to take the time to listen to a mix from some person I don't know their musical style or taste when I have no clue what's in the mix or at least have some semblance of a clue of what's in the mix. And if I know all the songs in the tracklist and know I like the majority of them, I'd most certainly give that mix a listen.

And one final thing: if you really want advice on your mix, be prepared to hear negative stuff - or don't ask for advice or constructive criticism. I think a lot of people hold out on giving advice / constructive criticism because it's usually not received well.

So regardless if you get responses on your posts here or not, just keep mixing and having fun.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

I spend a great deal of time digging for music and I'm not going to just hand it over to a hack who doesn't put the work in.
    this is exactly the WRONG way to think about other djs no matter how good or bad they are.
    You remove yourself from being part of the actual "community" sense of djs and place yourself OUTSIDE the group.
    djs are supposed to WORK together to keep a good light on things for themselves.

I used to have a dj on my radio station who would only show up to the site weekly JUSt to do his live show
    and then he'd be gone, never log in, never post anything, or interact on the forums until its time for his next show.
    And when he did interact, it was ONLY for his show.

Finally he answered me why this was. He claimed that he wont talk to other djs or members or on other live shows or anything because they arent interacting on HIS stuff first...........?!?!?!? What?
    thats like saying " I dont want biutze coming over to my house for dinner because i dont know anything about him "

Someone has to make the first move or it just doesnt get done.
    Im sorry if u take offense to this biutze but please dont. Its not about you, its about MY VIEW of what you are doing.
    To me, the direction you are taking, makes YOU the hack, not the other djs you THINK are going to steal your tracklist.

Like my other post says here, djs shared their sets with eachother when it was vinyl and it was to expose eachother and ourselves to new music.

I think you are being very one sided about it

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    this is exactly the WRONG way to think about other djs no matter how good or bad they are.
    You remove yourself from being part of the actual "community" sense of djs and place yourself OUTSIDE the group.
    djs are supposed to WORK together to keep a good light on things for themselves.
    I see what you're saying, I think you make good points, and I don't take any offense at all. But what if you really do try to make an effort to work with others and, in return, they backstab you? Then they're just using you and there's still no community. That happens a lot, of course, and isn't some hypothetical you'd only find in a philosophy class. This has caused me to be a little more cautious. It should be my prerogative as to who I help, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    I kind of like what amadeus did in his last mix post, which was just list the labels, and am considering doing the same, or maybe just the artist. It will cause those who like the tunes to dig a little and perhaps find some more great music other than that I put in my mix.
    What if, on SoundCloud, you tag the names of the artists/record labels and provide no track listing? Are you for or against this idea?

Tech Guru

I think if you've tagged either artist/label then your pushing the music, I personally don't like giving all info away. But will push artists and labels and will either do track list of just labels, or artists. I do occasionally for podcasts do a full tracklist.

But then again a lot of the stuff I buy/play is vinyl only, so even if you manage to work out the track your gonna have to do some searching to be able to buy it. But then digging is half the fun of DJing.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

I see what you're saying, I think you make good points, and I don't take any offense at all. But what if you really do try to make an effort to work with others and, in return, they backstab you? Then they're just using you and there's still no community. That happens a lot, of course, and isn't some hypothetical you'd only find in a philosophy class. This has caused me to be a little more cautious. It should be my prerogative as to who I help, surely.
    biutze youre right. there is a large number of djs that do that sort of thing, however, if no one makes a move in the right direction, and keeps doing it, they wont end up becoming a comunity of like minded djs.
    the djs on my station, all feel this same way and we all follow the same practice because of it.
    I too have had my share of (b-stabbers)
    i been playing out for over 20 years, so i remember the days on both ends of the situation.
    However what you are doing is focusing on the ones that wronged you. If you change your ways / ethics / direction / characture because of THEM, then they win. I give them the power to change who you are and whats RIGHT for you to do.
    Dont give them that

besides, we have seen the hacks. How long do they actually last? Not long.
    You know why.... because they try to be successful on someone elses work and they try to do it all alone.
    None of us will make it that way

Become part of a larger group. the right group. and see what you get out of it

Feel me? Thanks for the chat mate. good talkin to ya aboutit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast