Setting up your own club night/event organisation
    Tech Mentor

Default Setting up your own club night/event organisation

Yeah so I am wondering how does one go about doing this? At the moment I know about 4 or 5 people with the same taste and vision willing to work with it, 4 of them can DJ. I know all the DJ's in town which could be suitable for the style we want. But really from a starting point how does this work and what do you need to even attempt such an idea?

We are undecided on the name, though it's in our view best to be short, sort of abstract and a tendency to appear deep. Examples are "Imprint", "Format", "Reaktor" to name some of the few that already exist.

Our musical idea is to keep these club night's fairly underground, with that I mean the vibe not the legal status of the place. So no flashy light's everywhere, nothing over the top, but more along the lines of atmosphere.
    The music also tends to be serious, raw and contains a lot of twisted machinery samples and vocals, although we intend to include various tech-house along the lines of Dosem, Hollen or Umek.

So we have a group of DJ's willing to give this a go, and a decent following. Not great, but decent. We have people that can design and sketch pretty well (that includes me), we have someone who shoot's amazing promo video's. So that's what we have available to us and this is our current view of how we want this to be.

Me and a friend of mine are currently working on the design and lay-out but other then that it's a scary new world to explore. Can anyone with experience offer some tips, ways to go and handy advice?

Hi and I'm in the process of setting up and establishing my own dance night too in Manchester UK. (I've had many years of promoting alt/industrial nights but this feels kinda new and am noticing some differences which I'm learning from)

Tbh, sounds like you've already got a lot bases covered between you all and heading in the right direction.

I guess things to consider is once you've got your name you feel works, check the various social sites that this name will work for you and not already taken (same for website domain etc) and that it works well in search (so you don't get 20000+ listings for something that'll mean youre not likely to be found). Getting a website is a chore (I'm still setting mine up), but judging by the recent huge ridiculous OTT choking facebooks been doing recently, getting a website which people can sign up to an Email mailing list is a good strategy to get on from day 1.

You can set up something via Mailchimp to manage/deliver your emails, and then if your website is Wordpress based (a nice platform that you can have multiple people easily contributing to) there's widgets you can import to manage the sign up process.

Not sure if you're in the UK but I've also just signed up to Skiddle.com just as my next event in June is ticket based (I've managed to book Far Too Loud as headliner) and honestly, this is a HUGELY helpful platform and helps you to unite your various websites/social and integrate ticketing really well. I've been very impressed by it.

here's a link to my listing

http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Manchester/Zombie-Shack/FAR-TOO-LOUD

Things like showing who's signed up/attending on the facebook event and that you can assign sales reps are really well thought out. And the website explains good strategies for increasing sales, promoting your event and those I've also found helpful.

All the best and good luck with your collective night
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

All I can say is, If you build it, they will come!

2 years ago we started throwing outdoor parties in the forest. We had maybe 100 people max on a good night when were starting.

The last party we had before Halloween was close to 1000 people in the bush, crazy profit too! Its just been getting bigger and bigger over here. Make sure you understand the law around you tho, having a party where you aren't allowed to doesn't work out so well.

A few weeks ago i realized.....wait a minute I WORK IN A WAREHOUSE!!!! so this Saturday me and another guy i work with are gonna get a small party going, we're gonna start with like 30 ppl and just build from there. Mostly just playing techno and house.

My warehouse could easily fit like 700 ppl

Bad idea:

32747227.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Bad idea:

32747227.jpg
    lol if people could pick up the stuff we carry in the warehouse i salute that, its all 600lb rolls of carpet haha

its also all people who i know personally.

I was wondering do have a place to throw the event at? Bar/club/outside/etc? If so, how much will it cost to use the space? Depending on the venue you pick you run into a host of other things to think about if you want it to run smoothly as possible. Do you have to have an alcohol license? How is security going to be handled? I know you won't be able to stop all the bad elements from getting in but its something to think about. If its just a small group of close friends and people they know you may have better control of the situation. What age groups are going to be able to attend? Depending on the age group you have worry about different sets of problems. Example: Mixed age group (18 and older) and under age drinking could be possible... Sorry for the rambling but I was curious if you had plans in place for things that I mentioned and the host of other ones I couldn't think of at this point in time

insidevoid