Buying first pair of cdj's and mixer Help with set up??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying first pair of cdj's and mixer Help with set up??

Deciding between cdj 350 and 1000's but leaning more towards the 1000's. Since this will be my first set up ever, I'm completely lost on how I would be able to work it. I really want 350's because of the usb capabilities but I think I would enjoy the hot cues and other features of the 1000. My question is(well i have quite a few), what do I need exactly if I want to run my players with my laptop? Is there a specific mixer I need to use that would be compatible with the cdj's and also what software would I need to run on my laptop? Do I need a soundcard because I thought my laptop would act as a soundcard? As you can see I'm very lost, but I wanted to start with a set up that is as close to club standard as I can get for not too much money. Also would I be able to hook up regular home/computer speakers to the cdj's? Any help or advice is well appreciated. Please and thanks!!!

Tech Convert

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...pecifications/

^^^ if you go with the 1000's you are going to need this or the (a10). you can run the mixer in external mode so really any mixer will do. you will be able to hook up regular home/computer speakers to this setup you may just need to buy some cables/adapters to make it work. either way it wont cost you much. timecode can/will be finicky to play with and confusing the first couple of times to setup so if you take this route have patience """follow instructions""" and maybe have a 6-pack to accompany you.
    good luck!

Depends on the software you're planning on running or currently running on your laptop/computer. If you're running serato, you'll need serato certified schtuff, not NI certified audio cards/certified mixers/controllers.

So, pick your mixing software first, if you haven't already. Once you have that, you can look at audio options (either audio card or certified mixer/controller) to plug your CDJs/mixer into while still mixing internally with the software.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Why do you want to use CDJs with a software? There is not too much you get out of that. What makes you think you want CDJs?

You said you have no idea what DJing is like yet so it might be worth it to just go to a local guitar center and play woth whatever they have. Use the CDJs, try a controller and also have a look at the turntables.

I have an XDJ-R1, which is not the greatest solution ever, but it is stunningly good for its price, considering that you can also save a lot on it buying used gear. I ended buying the XDJ for only 470€ and tomorrow I might even buy a second one for four decks. That is considerably less compared to an 350s or 1000s setup. There are some downsides whatsoever. The pitchfaders are a bit short and stacking two R1s for four decks is not the finest idea, though it works and IT IS CHEAP!

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Depends on the software you're planning on running or currently running on your laptop/computer. If you're running serato, you'll need serato certified schtuff, not NI certified audio cards/certified mixers/controllers.

So, pick your mixing software first, if you haven't already. Once you have that, you can look at audio options (either audio card or certified mixer/controller) to plug your CDJs/mixer into while still mixing internally with the software.
    Which would you recommend? Whatever software i pick(serato, traktor) I'd have to get an external sound card either way correct?

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post
    Why do you want to use CDJs with a software? There is not too much you get out of that. What makes you think you want CDJs?

You said you have no idea what DJing is like yet so it might be worth it to just go to a local guitar center and play woth whatever they have. Use the CDJs, try a controller and also have a look at the turntables.

I have an XDJ-R1, which is not the greatest solution ever, but it is stunningly good for its price, considering that you can also save a lot on it buying used gear. I ended buying the XDJ for only 470€ and tomorrow I might even buy a second one for four decks. That is considerably less compared to an 350s or 1000s setup. There are some downsides whatsoever. The pitchfaders are a bit short and stacking two R1s for four decks is not the finest idea, though it works and IT IS CHEAP!
    Thats actually a good idea. I never thought of visiting a guitar center to try stuff out. But the reason why I want to run using software is because I didn't want the hassle of using actual cd's for the 1000's. Unless there's another way to run the tracks without cd's or using software? Remember I'm really new to this!!! I've only really done mixes on VDJ(LOL don't laugh at me please ) but I've had really good turn out with my mixes and people enjoy em so I thought I needa get my hands on some decks.

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post

I want to run the software with the 1000's because they don't support usb playback so I'd need software to play them from my laptop, correct? I don't want to use cd's D:

The main reason why I want to use software with the 1000's is because I don't want to use the cdj's using... cd's.. haha but remember I'm new so I'm not aware of any other way to play your music on the 1000's besides using a laptop because it doesn't support usb capabilities

What kind of music are you planning on playing? House, Trance? or hip-hop, rap? Are you planning on scratching, or regular transitions, like most house music DJs?

Personally, I'd go with 350s because all you need is a USB. You can use rekordbox (free software pioneer gives [only compatible with cdj 350-850-900-2000]), on this software you can add cue point to each track. Once you plug in your USB stick to the CDJ 350, you're songs will be cued up and all you have to do is press play. For the 1000s you'll need SD card to save your cue points. You can edit them on your computer. I think that's the only different. The jog wheel is smaller on the 350s. I think bigger jog wheels are better for scratching. You can hook up both to a computer. And 1000s has hot cues, which you don't really need for trance, or house music (IMO), but then again depends on your mixing style.

I think the mixer is way more important than the turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeelaaan View Post
    Which would you recommend? Whatever software i pick(serato, traktor) I'd have to get an external sound card either way correct?
    Not if your mixer/controller is certified with the software. Hence why you should pick the software first, then potentially find a controller/mixer that is certified for that software.

I have Traktor and like it, but it seems more and more controllers/mixers are coming out with Serato certification as opposed to Traktor with few new Traktor certified. I don't know what that says, but...Traktor does have very good mapping for most MIDI controllers, but if you wanted to play DVS (play songs on stored on your laptop via the CDJs) to control the software you'd have to buy a soundcard if your controller isn't Traktor certified.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast