SSD Drive and Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default SSD Drive and Traktor

With the falling prices of Samsung SSD's and the improved drive speed, I was curious if anyone using Traktor has made the switch to an SSD? If so, have you noticed any specific performance improvements? I apologize if this has been discussed before, but i didn't see this topic when i did a search. Any advice someone can give is greatly appreciated as, i'm thinking of upgrading my windows 8 HP. Thanks in advance.

Although my primary computer for Traktor Pro is a MacBook, I also run Traktor Pro on my Acer Core i7 Windows 8.1 notebook. Changed the disk from 750GB 5400rpm to 500GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD. Besides the lightning fast start of Windows, it's a major improvement on analyzing, indexing and all other file related stuff. My opinion is that it's worth every penny.

Tech Convert

I have built in an ssd into my macbook and the programm opens up and reacts definitely alot quicker since, but i have all my music still on an hdd, so loading up the tracks and indexing etc. is still the bottleneck.

Tech Mentor

I've had two drives in my 2011 MBP since I got it; first two spinning drives, then a small SSD and a spinning drive, and last week I switched up again.

I bought a 960gb Crucial M500 SSD to put in my main drive bay, moved everything to that, and now my 128gb SSD is in the optical bay purely as an emergency boot drive with a small music library on it.

As well as the general computing benefits of having an SSD, I've found that having everything Traktor related on one SSD drive makes loading tracks much quicker, which was previously a bit of annoyance after using Serato for so long.

At this point, I think the cost of SSD drives has reached a level where I think they are absolutely worth using, in pretty much all situations.

Tech Wizard

Thx guys! I'm going to upgrade

Tech Mentor

awesome upgrade.
    ive done it on my MBP 2011, main drive is my ssd of 128 and y use de other drive for file storage

Tech Wizard

I have an HP I7, with 12gb of ram....I think ssd is exactly what I need. Lately it seems like tracks take forever to load when I have a good mix going with both decks and remix decks

Quote Originally Posted by xxlarge View Post
    I have an HP I7, with 12gb of ram....I think ssd is exactly what I need. Lately it seems like tracks take forever to load when I have a good mix going with both decks and remix decks
    Could be heat also .. But SSD Way to go after you have one you will be sad to ever have to use a regular drive again he'll I've switched some of my back up drives over to ssd drives

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    I've had two drives in my 2011 MBP since I got it; first two spinning drives, then a small SSD and a spinning drive, and last week I switched up again.

I bought a 960gb Crucial M500 SSD to put in my main drive bay, moved everything to that, and now my 128gb SSD is in the optical bay purely as an emergency boot drive with a small music library on it.

As well as the general computing benefits of having an SSD, I've found that having everything Traktor related on one SSD drive makes loading tracks much quicker, which was previously a bit of annoyance after using Serato for so long.

At this point, I think the cost of SSD drives has reached a level where I think they are absolutely worth using, in pretty much all situations.
    Have you always kept your music folders on the SSD also? even when you had a SSD and a spinning drive?

I swapped out my optical bay for a SSD but only used it for applications. I kept my music folders on the HDD - I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this would be the better option.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

I've got a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo in my 2011 MBP - it's awesome and I just keep everything on one drive in order to make backing it up easier. I've moved the home folder before to a separate drive and it sucks to maintain, at least for me. I had issues with application installs and so I just went with a larger single drive for ease. I would recommend looking into drive speed tests as not all SSDs are the same speed, even the same drives at different capacities. You should see around 500mb/s read/write on the Samsungs over 500gb as well as the M500's but I'm not sure what sizes. Check anandtech performance reviews before buying.
    Current Gear: TSP, Macbook Pro, VCI-400, Ipad: Lemur, TDJ, Audio2, V-Moda M-100

Formerly Owned Gear (Feel free to ask opinions): Technics 1200, DJM-600, Midi Fighter Classic, Korg Zero4, Denon DN-X1600, Denon DN-MC6000, V-Moda Crossfade LP, ATH-M50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast