Automatic Time Signature Detection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Automatic Time Signature Detection

Does anyone know of any software that is able to recognize the time signature of a song, eg. 3/4 vs. 4/4

I am used to doing this by ear; but coupled with key detection and bpm detection this would be a huge advantage when creating playlists on the fly.

Tech Mentor

I'm afraid I have no idea, but I am curious what genre you play.

Tech Wizard

I typicaly mix with glitch hop and trap, my favorite being 128 bpm downtempo trap. For personal pleasure house or trance depending on my mood.
    The song that led me to post this is "one republic - counting stars". Ive never had an appreciation for this band but this song is pretty catchy and ripe for the mixing. The time signature is really f'd up though, 3/4 or 6/8 most likley.
    It would mix great into a trap song however, it would probably take me hours just to come up with a few trap songs in 3/4.

are you referring to to bar signatures? Counting Stars by One Republic is straight 4/4 at 121 bpm. Mix this tune into house sets all the time. There is a pause in between bars at some points, but this can easily be handled by stopping the track your mixing it with or using keypoints. If you have an acapella for remixing, simply align it with the original tune in multitrack (using audition or something simlar) and knock out the pauses.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

That makes perfect sense actually. I wanted to throw a 32 bar loop on the vocals and it didnt sound right. I moved past it assuming it was a non standard time signature, which is usually the case in that situation. It's a new track in my collection, so I would hope that I would've figured it out myself. But I cant say that I have seen that in a song before.

Just to clarify its like a two bar pause right?

Tech Mentor

you can count 6/8 in as 1,2. Separating 3 8th notes per count.

that's like Music theory 101
    Done DJ'ing

Tech Guru

I play a bit of everything...wedding DJ, and I DJ for professional dance competitions (think "Dancing With The Stars" level Pros). So, I actually play 3/4 time music for Waltz. I take all the songs I already know to be Waltz, and put them into a separate folder and analyze them as a block. That let's me at least control the overall tempo window, and limit any "2x" issues in the automatic tempo detection.

As far as I know, there is no easy way to "automatically" detect the time signature of a given song. Also AFAIK, in Traktor the GLOBAL time signature seems to be hard coded to assume 4/4 time, and a "generated" or "perfect" tempo through the whole song.

If there is a way to have Traktor "recognize" songs as other than 4/4 time, that would be awesome. I am even willing to tag those songs "by hand" (all my 3/4 time is in it's own folder).
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

You seem to have missed the topic of this thread no rex4u, I do appreciate the free lesson though.

Tech Wizard

Your certainly correct about about traktor being hard coded for 4/4 time. Anything that isn't 4/4 is a bit of an exception in my collection.

I have a lot respect for anyone mixing outside of the EDM/pop(digitally produced) genres. At the very least it takes someone with a good ear, but to to make it sound good well rounded skill and knowledge is necessary. So props to you soundinmotion!

It sounds like you would have a lot to gain from key signature detection, though I have yet to find any leads elsewhere on the internet.

Ill post back here if I do happen to come across anything.

Tech Guru

To be fair, I rarely mix 3/4 time. Most of my mixing would be with Top 40, Classic Rock, or similar genres....and simple beatmatching at that.

I use Mixed In Key, and it helps quite a bit. I find the automatic bpm detection to be slightly better then Traktor for songs with live drummers.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast