Again, please help me out with organizing my tracks :D

Default Again, please help me out with organizing my tracks :D

Hello.
    I apologize for the long stream of help request posts, but i'm getting really tired of my non-method of organizing my tracks.

So, i would like to have my music for DJing, that i search for and add daily, separate from my long-term music collection which is meant for listening purposes. In there i have stuff which i really wouldn't want to have cluttering my SDJ library, classical, rock and such.

Now whenever I play a track in Itunes, the track gets automatically added to the library, and is shown in SDJ's library.
    I could turn off Itunes library support in SDJ, but then i wouldn't get the crate options of itunes.

Basically what I would like to have are two separate libraries.

Now, i'm extremely confused and you probably are, too. And i'm sorry for that. But i really don't know what else to do. So in a few words, I am looking for something that will help me organize my tracks better, add music i don't want to see in my SDJ library to my computer, and in short clean up my collection.

I'm not looking for a software solution anymore. So i just need someone to tell me what exactly to do :P

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

You CAN have separate libraries on iTunes.

You open up iTunes while holding SHIFT, and then it asks you which library you want to use.

http://support.digidna.net/entries/2...unes-libraries
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Okay, so that is figured out. Serato probably uses the current library, so hopefully it won't load both.
    Now, a question Patch, how do you personally organize new tracks? Because up until now i put them in folders marked in 10day increments (e.g. 20mar2014, 10sep2013), and tried doing some 1-5 categorization in SDJ, but gave it up when it got messier and messier.
    I have purchased Mixed In Key, which will hopefully automatically sort the energy level thing out. But time-wise, do you organize your tracks? How do you know where your freshly downloaded stuff is?
    Thanks very much!!
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

I only keep my tunes in folders based on Genre, then do all of my sorting based on Tags that I create with MP3TAG - but, TBH - there really is no need to use folders at all (just put ALL of your tunes into ONE folder) as long as you have a decent Tagging regime in place.

I use MP3 tag, and have an action set up to "Add Create Date to Sort Date Column". Sort Date is a tag that shows up in iTunes, so I can sort in iTunes on the created date by using the Sort Date field.

I've got a pretty tight little process going on:

1) Download tracks to "downloaded" folder.
    2) Run 'em all through MIK.
    3) Run 'em all through ReNamer (this standardises all of my track names. so, 97 BPM becomes 097 BPM, 1A becomes 01A, Mc becomes MC, Dj becomes DJ, Remix becomes RMX, etc...)
    4) Run 'em all through MP3Tag:
    - Delete original Tags
    - Convert Filename to Tags
    - Add Genre
    - Add Comments (add attributes: Banger; Anthem; Chill; Happy; Classic; Fav; Etc;...)
    - (Sometimes) Add art work
    5) Run 'em through MP3Gain.
    6) Add 'em to iTunes.

Then, I have a LOAD of Smart Playlists set up in iTunes, based on the tags. I then pick tunes from the Smart Playlists in the iTunes node in traktor.

You can set up a simple Smart Playlist in iTunes called something like "New Tunes":

smart-playlist-recently-added-100035493-large.png

The example above uses "Date Added (in the last 2 weeks)" as the basis for a Smart Playlist. This will give you a playlist that is dynamically updated every time you add new tracks to the library.

Get in th ehabit of tagging your tracks really well, then use iTunes to sort your tracks using Smart Playlists based on your own tags.

I have smart playlists that return all key compatible tracks, that are within a certain BPM range (usually +/-5 bpm), and that were downloaded in the last month.

Seriously: Tagging + Smart Playlists = Victory.
    Last edited by Patch; 04-02-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Thanks man. I appreciate this, I really do
    Just to be sure: ReNamer is this one? http://www.den4b.com/?x=news&article=1917#n1917 The paid version, right?
    Also, have you ever tried Platinum Notes? If yes, how does it compare to MP3gain? Worth the money at all?
    And one more: Do you have iTunes set up so that it copies the files to the iTunes Media folder?
    Thank you Patch!

I'll answer your Q's:

Just to be sure: ReNamer is this one? http://www.den4b.com/?x=news&article=1917#n1917 The paid version, right?
    - That's the one - but I thought it was free? Actually, you don't NEED Renamer if you are going to use MP3Tag - you can do all of that nativley in MP3Tag using Actions...

Also, have you ever tried Platinum Notes? If yes, how does it compare to MP3gain? Worth the money at all?
    - I have got PN. Not that impressed. I only really use it if MIK can't find the key of a track. (PN *allegedly* pitch shifts a track if the track is between keys...) MP3Gain is fine, and FREE!

And one more: Do you have iTunes set up so that it copies the files to the iTunes Media folder?
    - Nope. I only use iTunes as a means of sorting through Tags.

Thank you Patch!

Thank you Patch!
    <jokes>Whoa, thanking yourself? that's egoistic </jokes>

I don't know how to thank you, really If you ever come to Italy or Slovenia, I'll make sure to help you out as much as I can