Traktor Pro doesn't write to M4A ID3 tags?!?! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    You cannot convert iTunes Download AAC files within iTunes (posted this on the NI forum) you have to burn then rip them.
    I've done this a few times, well, with three albums, a few months ago. I usually don't buy through iTunes, but I've definitely done it.

Regardless, though, if that's not an option, he could also use a different encoder, couldn't he? Like Audacity will export to mp3.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    i rip all my cds in itunes and i can write tags in traktor. that being said traktor is not perfect in reading id3 tags especially if you dont use version 2.4

however i am in a mac and i also have quicktime installed.
    Version 2.4 of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    You cannot convert iTunes Download AAC files within iTunes (posted this on the NI forum) you have to burn then rip them.
    I think I'm gonna go this route...Even though I keep getting error messages, it still registers the BPM's, which I find odd especially since it gives me a warning that they won't play.

If you are ripping from CDs to AAC in iTunes, DRM should not be an issue. I do the same thing and haven't run into any problems. I would keep troubleshooting before you convert all of your library.

Tech Guru

The warning means that either the track is DRM protected, or there's confusion in the software with regards to the BPM and/or transients. If you see the 0.00 BPM thing, make sure the file is unlocked, and re-analyze the file (right click). If that doesn't work, ask Traktor to delete the file from the collection, additionally remove Traktor tags, then re-import the file. This should solve the problem.

Traktor handles non-DRM AAC fine with the exception of not displaying bitrate correctly. You should not use DRM protected files.

Also, I'm hearing a lot of you guys suggesting various conversion options for the problem files. Not a good idea. AAC is already a compressed format. NEVER take a compressed format, convert it to .wav or .aiff, then recompress it as an MP3. Or any compressed format for that matter. The only thing you should ever do with an AAC, MP3, etc, is record it or play it back. Going through those conversions double up the lossyness of the file, and you are destroying the sound.

Never do it! It's like the 1st Commandment of digital audio. AAC-->WAV=not a lossy process, but still sounds like an AAC. AAC-->WAV-->MP3=Twice compressed, sounds like shit.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm talking about going from AAC->MP3, no WAV in the middle
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

It doesn't matter if theres WAV in the middle or not. If you take one compressed format and convert to another compressed format, the (already compressed) file is being compressed yet again. Each conversion to a lossy format re-encodes the previous version and removes data. This holds true even if you up the bit rate. Convince yourself by encoding a file from CD into MP3 or AAC, then do it again to the resulting file two or three more times.

Converting a compressed file to a lossless format like WAV or aiff doesn't lose data, but the resulting file will still sound like the compressed version - ya can't add anything that wasn't there in the first place.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123