mLAN - The Coolest Thing You'll Probably Never Use

Default mLAN - The Coolest Thing You'll Probably Never Use

mLAN was created by yamaha some years back, but never really took off. you may say, "well, probably wasn't that good, serves them right" - but you would be wrong. i feel like it would take us to another level with our rigs, no matter what you're doing. here's some highlights, and basically what it is:

mLAN:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.mlancentral.com/mlan_info/faq.php
    mLAN FireWire Music Networking is an acronym for music Local Area Network. It is a Firewire-based protocol for high-speed transmission and control of multiple channels of audio and ports of MIDI over a network. It includes intelligent connection management that allows connection and control over the entire music network without ever having to plug or unplug a single cable.
    - takes audio cables and midi cables (even possibly power cables), and eliminates the need for them - with a firewire cable.
    - 150+ audio channels (@ 24bit/48k - higher than CD quality), and tens of thousands of MIDI channels, all simultaneously)
    - how you setup your gear doesn't matter. as long as everything is wired together *somehow*, it's connected right. for example, running your speakers to your synth will let you use the speakers with your drum machine, as long as they have some connection through firewire down the chain to the synth. you could go synth->computer->drum machine -> speakers, speakers-> computer-> drum machine -> synth, or any possible combination, and it works. no more patching MIDI and audio cables in complex configurations.
    - no additional hardware/card/box needed, just a firewire connection, and compatible hardware.
    - currently supported by mac & windows (linux in the future)

here's the FAQ:

http://www.mlancentral.com/mlan_info/faq.php

thoughts? i think we should push this as digital pioneers.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

sounds awesome, i think...

but REALLY confusing.
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Quote Originally Posted by Be-Ne-Dek View Post
    sounds awesome, i think...

but REALLY confusing.
    really? maybe the way i explained it. basically: connect everything by firewire (speakers, sound card, synth, etc), and you're done.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

oooooooh haha. sorry, i get it now. have you seen the new CDJ's? the controllers ones? they have LAN in the back and can be wired together via CAT-5 Ethernet cables!

its called "Pro DJ Link" --- http://www.pioneerdj.com/gear.aspx?p...=CDJ-2000&cp=2
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

mLAN sounds cool, now to see if it would work in dual traktor/ableton setup.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --