F1 Effects Mapping Idea...

Default F1 Effects Mapping Idea...

I've been wanting to create a Kontrol F1 F\X mapping that involves mapping each Traktor effect to a corresponding pad on the F1. Then when the pad is activated the knobs on the F1 control each parameter of the effect as if it was in single mode. I'm still thinking on how to use the faders maybe control the wet/dry ratio... This is the overall idea of what I want to do with my F1 I was wondering if this is functionally possible within Traktor? I want to say yes but I'm not 100% sure based on what I know of.

I have been looking over Tekken's Ultimate F1 F\X mapping for ideas to start from but it got confusing rather quickly the more I tried to understand what was going on . Does anyone have a good jumping off point I could start from and work on from there (Youtube, forums, blogs, etc). I'll keep searching the interwebs and this forum for material to work with and any help will be greatly appreciated I do have the NI manual I have that for reference always

insidevoid

Tech Mentor

I don't know how experienced you are with mapping, but take a look at these videos:
    Basic (very, very basic) mapping:
    Advanced mapping:

Quote Originally Posted by insidevoid View Post
    I've been wanting to create a Kontrol F1 F\X mapping that involves mapping each Traktor effect to a corresponding pad on the F1. Then when the pad is activated the knobs on the F1 control each parameter of the effect as if it was in single mode. I'm still thinking on how to use the faders maybe control the wet/dry ratio... This is the overall idea of what I want to do with my F1 I was wondering if this is functionally possible within Traktor? I want to say yes but I'm not 100% sure based on what I know of.

I have been looking over Tekken's Ultimate F1 F\X mapping for ideas to start from but it got confusing rather quickly the more I tried to understand what was going on . Does anyone have a good jumping off point I could start from and work on from there (Youtube, forums, blogs, etc). I'll keep searching the interwebs and this forum for material to work with and any help will be greatly appreciated I do have the NI manual I have that for reference always

insidevoid
    Pretty simple concept really. When I did my mapping on the F1 I started from a blank slate to avoid complications with other stock mapping layers. Designate a few modifiers to the pads. What I mean is if you hold pad 1 then modifier 1 is 1, pad 2 modifier 1 is 2 ect. 16 pads so you'll need at least 2 modifiers. Then map the pad to activate the effect when held. Finally map each of the the knobs to control the effect bank where the effect is located when the corresponding modifier is active.

Only issue you'll run into here is the changing of effects when you press the pad. I've been unable to both change the effect and activate the new effect with one press. Worse case you have to press the pad once to "arm" it then the second press activates. Someone chime in here if you know better.

Faders could again be mapped the same was as the knobs for dry/wet. I like to map the faders to deck volumes. I often found my hands tied up on the F1 and can use one hand on the knobs and faders at once.

Another fun thing to experiment with is the Filer On control. When each knob is in the 50% position Traktor considers this Filter Off and when you break the 50% left or right then its considered Filter ON. Just another parameter to play with.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser720 View Post
    Only issue you'll run into here is the changing of effects when you press the pad. I've been unable to both change the effect and activate the new effect with one press. Worse case you have to press the pad once to "arm" it then the second press activates. Someone chime in here if you know better.
    Add store preset command to your FX preset pads.

@Scalage - I was looking for those videos! I seen them somewhere before but couldn't find them in my bookmarks lol. Thanks! there are ideas in those videos that I know I'll have to utilize in this mapping. This is my first mapping but at my day job I'm a programmer so I understand that this mapping can get complicated fast if I don't plan it out as much as possible. So I'm going to attempt to write out everything that I do with the mapping just not sure how I want to document this LOL. I'll be watching these videos a few times for sure!!!

@Chaser720
    I did start from a blank slate I just like looking at other mappings to gather ideas and see what I could use in my mapping.

What I mean is if you hold pad 1 then modifier 1 is 1, pad 2 modifier 1 is 2 ect. 16 pads so you'll need at least 2 modifiers. Then map the pad to activate the effect when held. Finally map each of the the knobs to control the effect bank where the effect is located when the corresponding modifier is active.
    So all the pads will have a least two modifiers? Will the modifiers be needed to 1. map the pad to activate the effect and 2. Activate said effect bank (in Traktor) when said pad is pressed (F1) and control the knobs (F1) with the effects bank knobs (In Traktor)? Or is there a few more things involved lol?
    I was only wanting the pads to work by pressing it once to turn it on and deactivate it by pressing the pad again. I was worried about how to get the pad and knobs to function together when I activate said pad so I'm glad you brought that up.

I do want the ability to have more than one effect active. But then I would need to figure out how to control the parameters in the F\X bank if I want to have four effects active at the same time with the limited amount of controls that are on the F1.

I know there is going to be a learning curve to midi mapping and a lot of trial and error lol. Right now I'm at the pre-planning stage of trying to figure out how I want each button to function on the F1 and gather enough data to help me get started in the right direction. Then after that I'm going to first focus on getting one pad functioning exactly the way I want it before moving onto the other pads. I hope this post makes sense I have a lot of ideas going on in my head right now so forgive me lol.