Serato/Traktor/Rekordbox Library management?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Serato/Traktor/Rekordbox Library management?

Short version: Is there anyway to transfer cue points from songs in Rekordbox to Serato?

Long version: So, I've researched this topic to no end. Quick backstory: I was fortunate enough to use CDJs that were Rekordbox compatible since I've gotten back into DJing. I have roughly 7-8k songs analyzed, organized, and more importantly, with hot cues set in (for playback on 2000s). Reality set in (and bills), and now I cannot afford to have a Rekordbox setup to use at home (CDJs), and I don't bring in enough to justify keeping my equipment.

Enter getting a controller (VCI-400) and Serato. I've used Itch in the past, so I'm not completely new to Serato. I'm pretty adept at working with the software, and the hardware gives me just enough control to practice at home and be able to use a pair of CDJs at a local venue if need be.

Here's the dilemma. I want to import my hot cue/memory point info from Rekordbox into Serato DJ (and maybe vice versa). Problem is, nothing like it really exists at the moment. I'm aware of Damien's program "Rekord Buddy" (Mac only) and that his current version offers Rekordbox <-> Traktor integration, but nothing has been seen for Serato. I find it difficult to believe no software exists yet where we can transfer cue point data from one software to Serato.

AFAIK, Rekordbox and Traktor work on a database file system in which data such as cue points/BPM/beatgrid/etc. are (or can be) stored in an XML type file. Serato, to help the end user, places this data into the actual audio file which I understand is helpful if your machine dies and you've kept your music in a separate drive but doesn't really help those that WOULD LIKE to convert from the other two libraries into Serato (I've seen so many Traktor users who want to convert but lack of cue point transferrence(?) is the biggest issue).

Serato, if you are listening, please answer with something optimistic. Also, afaik, the software Traktor came up with to nab Serato users is obsolete (SSL Database Converter) since I believe Serato used a difference database system back then.

Finally, if there isn't a way for us to be able to transfer our data from other libraries (that some of us have spent years working on), I've been in the process of trying to figure how that might be possible (for PC).

Anyways, thanks for reading and responding!
    J
    Last edited by Jaeros; 04-06-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Tech Mentor

Have a look at Mixvibes Cross. It's actually a very capable software choice, these days.

If I remember correctly, it has a mapping for the vci 400 as standard, & it will export / import it's analasys data to rekordbox.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the response. I'm more inclined to use Serato or Traktor, but I'm going to give Mixvibes Cross a shot. Their recent update looks great and, luckily, I haven't invested too much library work in the former two programs.

You can import your Traktor library into Cross. I can't remember exactly how to do it but a quick google search should point you in the right direction. I think you might be able to import Serato libraries as well but as I don't use serato I can't comment on this.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

You can import your Traktor library into Cross.
    Interesting...

I believe Cross has Dynamic Playlists, too...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Interesting...

I believe Cross has Dynamic Playlists, too...
    Yep!
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Will Cross read traktor Hotcues/cuepoints?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I was just trying to remember if it did when I imported my Traktor collection.... I'm pretty sure it did, I've loaded up a few tracks and it's had cue points in it, and I haven't added any cue points in Cross....

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Tech Wizard

Cross does read Traktor playlists through command Open>Third Party Database. This program might be a temporary solution though, as it still needs work with it's playback infrastructure (pitching up and down results in loss of kick strength ala Virtual DJ) and MIDI is slow to respond on my controller (versus Traktor or Serato). GUI is nice and solid.

I can't comment on the playback pitching up/down thing, as I hardly ever change the speed/pitch of a track, but I have had 0 problems with cross responding to midi commands from my Denon MC6000. What problems are you having exactly??

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast