What keyboard was used for Lil Louis' - French Kiss

Default What keyboard was used for Lil Louis' - French Kiss

A classic, one of the house greats.

I would love to know what keyboard / synth did Louis' use for this track? Lil Louis' - French Kiss, for the main synth line... Is there a modern day plugin emulator for this? or a plugin of the keyboard that was used, etc. I would love to toy around with it

Plus, I want to use this track in a mix, which is a dub, but has the synth from French Kiss in, but not a lot. I would use the original, but I'm just not down with the orgasim that comes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcii07sr5Tw

It really is SO good.

Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Thanks man!

I downloaded both of those zip files a-z and DX one, but can not get them to open in FM8.... When i go to FM8>file>add it loads and just comes up with an INIT VOICE name..

All those files included in zip sond the same, and are just inits... :-(
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Could it be that I need to update my FM8? It's on 1.0.1 atm....

Tech Mentor

You need to import the sysex into FM8 from the File Menu. It does pull up an INIT patch, but if you go to the Bankname column and click on the banks (A,b,c,etc), you should see the patches.
    I kind of figured the patch was some type of FM patch. Older music can be easier to determine synths used because there weren't 5,000 different VST's back then
    I'm running 1.3, btw... always good to keep them updated

Ah, I thought I did do that, I looked it up on NI support page, when to file, add database etc, didnt get no luck tho.

But just open up again, and went File>Import SySex, and then just choose one out of the folders I downloaded, and then went into Browser, looked for Solid Bass, and boom, think ive got it now!
    Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 16.05.41.jpg

EDIT: Not sure why image always uploads so small and low quality on here....

Anyhow, how do i know which of the Sysex files from the Zip files is the one i need? Theres about 10 in one folder, and about 15 in the other...

Another thing.... Is this the same keyboard that the other synth in the track is from? That really euro light synth.. it comes in at exactly 1:27

Tech Mentor

It looks like they split all the patches up into different folders. I know the blog mentioned the Solid Bass patch for the bass.
    If you click the header that says "sounds" next to the magnifying glass, it will switch to a different view where you will see all the individual folders you downloaded. It's a little easier to see where the patches were originally grouped from.
    Have to remember there could have been some processing (most likely) on the original track, so the patch won't sound exact.