Traktor Key Detection
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor Key Detection

Hey ALL,

I have just recently got Traktor Pro 2 I have just analysed all my tracks. I see Traktor has its own open key system e.g. 1d, 2d etc.

I added two fields to the browser, both the Key and Key Tex field. What I'm confused about is that they don't seem to be matching. For example when I sort by Key Text field, there are numerous different open keys opposite it in the Key column. E.g Amin has some of 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 8m, 12m. So I'm confused as to how these can all be categorised as A minors.

Shouldn't each one have a different key? Such as 1m=Amin 2m=Emin. I'm just confused how so many open keys can fall under Amin? Its happening on all keys, just using the Amin key as en example.

I'm new to harmonics and keys so maybe im looking at this in the wrong way? I thought I had understood it by looking at the various charts/ wheels but this has me confused. Would really appreciate advise from somebody who knows.

Thanks a million.

Tech Mentor

They are the same, just with different notations. 8A=1m, 8B=1d. They just differ with the value 7 and A=m and B=d. If you analyse your tracks in MIK first, Traktor will take the MIK key, that's why they are the same.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    They are the same, just with different notations. 8A=1m, 8B=1d. They just differ with the value 7 and A=m and B=d. If you analyse your tracks in MIK first, Traktor will take the MIK key, that's why they are the same.
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Ok so I get that A=m and B=d. What I don't understand is how one traktor open key can have many scales. If you look at the attached traktor key chart, there are 12 major keys (d) and 12 minor keys (m).

Each of these 24 open keys have there own specific scale e.g 1d= C , 2d= D, 3d=G.

However when you add the Key Text column to the browser and put it side by side with the Key column you will notice that multiple scales are assigned to each open key. For example, in the chart 1d=C. In traktor 1d has Cmaj, Fmaj, Amin, Bmin opposite it in the Key Text column.

So i'm lost as to how this can be? Is it a case of the Key Text column being wrong in Traktor and should be ignored, and just focus on the Key column? Or am I not understanding something. Again really appreciate any advise.

Tech Mentor

You're assuming that a track can only have one key. It doesn't, there can be many. Tracks can have multiple keys and Mixed In Key recognizes this. It can also determine that there is no dominant key at all.

Read this from the tutorial page inside Mixed in Key:
    "What does it mean when Mixed In Key reports two keys instead of one? Both keys are compatible with this particular song. You can use either key.
    "None" means the producer made a song that doesn't have a lot of melody. You can mix "None" results with ANY key – it'll sound good with all of them."

In my experience, Traktor's key detection is pretty awful. It's very inaccurate and I find it pretty unusable, so it doesn't surprise me that it would return 4 keys for a track.

On a more constructive note, you really don't need to use both the Key and Key Text field no matter what you're using for key detection. This will likely confuse you, as you may be experiencing now. If you're using Traktor's built-in key detection, I would just use the Key column and Key Text if you're using any third-party app.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

There are AT LEAST 4 compatible keys for each track. I have Smart Playlists that return ALL compatible tracks for a single key...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Compatible does not mean harmonic with in this case.

Explain.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

MIK detects the key and puts it in the key tag. If it finds 2 keys, it puts 2 in.

Tech Wizard

Traktor Key & Scales Chart A4 Size White (Printer Friendly).jpgOk cool thanks a lot guys. Just to clarify though, i'm not saying that one track is producing multiple keys. Each track is only showing one key. My confusion was for example if I have ten tracks that are 1m, I would have expected each of them to be Amin in the Key Text field. As is shown in the traktor key chart attached.

The fact that these ten tracks in 1m, have totally different keys in the Key Text field is what confused me. My presumption was the ten 1m would have lined up to ten Amin when both Key and Key Text column were put together.

So maybe i'm best just removing the Key Text field? And focusing on just the key field as I start practicing harmonic mixing?

Also, is MIK really that much more accurate than Traktor pro 2 key detection system do you think?

Thanks again guys fir the help. Much appreciated.