Playing a club for the first time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Playing a club for the first time

Hey guys, I will play my first club gig soon.
    At home I'm a scratch pro user with cdj850k.
    If I go to the club (it's a professional club, no hobby thing), do I have to bring my traktor multi cores ?
    Or is my laptop plus interface (A8) and the timecodes fine?
    Since I've never done it before, I just wanted to know what's the standard.
    Thanks a lot for ur experienced replies!

Cheeers

Do you not like using the CDjs on their own?

You still need to bring whatever cables you would use. I would bring my own multi-cores if I use timecode.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Wizard

You should check with the club and make sure that they're alright with you unplugging their gear first. All you should need to bring are a few RCA cables to go from the A8 into the club's mixer and just run the RCAs they have normally going into the mixer into your soundcard. If you want to go through the hassle of unplugging and rewiring more stuff, bring the multicores.

Tech Wizard

Here's the thing, if you take your stuff you better make sure there is enough space in that booth, I cannot tell you how many times I've DJ'ed up to 6 hours in a booth the size of a porta-potty. If they have CDJs(which they should) then I would recommend just using that without a laptop; a good DJ can mix songs, it takes a great DJ to conform to what ever equipment is in front of them in order for them to mix. I've seen DJ's, who use laptops, where the laptop crashes on them during their sets and it literally KILLS the whole vibe of the night; laptops are not safe!

Here a tip. Bring everything you can that you think you need plus extra. Seriously. Think of the event that you maybe screwed without something and bring a back up. For instance: You want to play with traktor, but they have cdj 850s. Bring two thumb drives with music just incase you can't hook things up correctly. Always bring extras.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    Here a tip. Bring everything you can that you think you need plus extra. Seriously. Think of the event that you maybe screwed without something and bring a back up. For instance: You want to play with traktor, but they have cdj 850s. Bring two thumb drives with music just incase you can't hook things up correctly. Always bring extras.

And check that the thumb drives are compatible with the CDJ!

Tech Convert

Default make a checklist

Make a checklist of everything you need for every possible scenario. Make a box which contains every possible audio adapter. Try to get in touch with the audio/light technician of the venue, send him a mail with stuff you use and or might need. All of this is supposed to relief stress on the moment you don't need it. Rock!!!!

Tech Wizard

Default Prepare!

Definitely try to speak to the soundguy first:

1) there may not be room in the booth for your stuff
    2) you don't want to be messing about unplugging stuff in a dark club when people are waiting to be entertained. It does NOT help the nerves!

If you are comfortable using whatever set up they have then use that and keep things as simple as possible in terms of gear and mixing.

Bring as much music as you can so that you can cover different vibes - ie beginning of night is gonna be way different music to middle or end.

Enjoy! :-)

Tech Guru

Like everyone else has suggested, bring everything you would need minus mixer and cdjs...throw in a few spare USB cables, RCA cables, audio CDs and a USB stick, both with enough music to cover your entire set
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast