Mac specs for Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mac specs for Traktor

Hey all you amazing DJTT users I have a pretty simple question for you all I am considering buying a Mac Book Pro for DJing and a bit of music Production. Now I am wondering:

How much ram is recommended for Traktor??

What kind of processor would i looking at??? ( currently looking at a dual core intel i5 2.4 GHz)

and lastly how much internal storage should I be looking at ???

sorry about the basic question :P
    and thanks

Traktor will run on any modern CPU, even the cheapest MacBook Air with its 1.3GHZ i5 dual core.

Memory, well 4GB is fine but I'd recommend 8 for production use.

Storage, comes down to what you think you need for music library and samples/software for production. My Air has a 256GB SSD which has 64GB of music, Maschine 2 library and expansions, Bitwig and Massive, with about 50GB free.

I do however recommend getting one with an SSD, it's a tremendous amount better for load times and overall feel of day in day out usage. If you get a Retina then it comes with one, the non-retina you can upgrade easily.

Edit: I just checked and I have 115GB free, since getting Bitwig I've deleted Ableton Suite from the laptop which has given me more space.
    Last edited by frankle; 04-10-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Tech Wizard

hmmm really???
    would you say that the 1.3GHZ dual core i5 is optimal for music production??

so there really isnt that much of a need to opt for the 500gb ssd in a mac???

oh yeah dont worry i am defs getting an SSD cant stand the boot up times of the regular HDD MBP

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'm still using a late 2008 macbook pro (2.53 Core 2 Duo) both for music production and traktor. running 8gb of ram tho. You don't need the newest/flashiest macbook to get the job done but since you are shopping it's better to be future proof.

Tech Mentor

I5 is more than enough for Traktor. I was using a 7 year old Core2Duo MacBook for a while. I would go with the extra ram over HD space because you can not add it later. Hard drive can be upgraded but it's expensive. Additional space can always be added externally via USB3 or Thunderbolt.
    I only have a 256 SSD in mine. I like having the limitation because it forces you to consolidate your tunes. And, allows you to be honest when you tell the drunk girl throwing requests at you that you do not have the track

Tech Wizard

Padi_04 is this in terms of djing or music production???

Tech Wizard

Thanks TonyRome this helps take care of the CPU choice and the SSD choice

but I am now considering the MBA as anoption does anyone have any experience with Air's for music production???

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ba5booster View Post
    Padi_04 is this in terms of djing or music production???
    Both. Music production takes advantage of the extra ram and you will only notice difference in processing power when rendering or in a big project with tons of big CPU hungry plugins.

Running a MacBook Air 1.7 i5 with 4gb ram on 2 timecodes, 1 X1, and 1 F1 with no problems. I do occasionally get a high load when I have all the effects enabled on all of the decks, but I keep them off since I running a DB4.

Tech Wizard

alright thanks Padi_04 this really helps
    im still looking for anyone who uses a MBA for music production
    or would the Pro be better suited for Music Production ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast