Damn monitors...

Default Damn monitors...

I purchased a combo S4 MK1 and KRK Rokit 5's from DJ Tech Tools a bit less than a year ago. All has been well, although I've noticed what appeared to be a short in the right monitor. This occurred with both the S4 and the Pio DJM 900 NXS that I've had for about four months now. I thought it might have been the cable I had (TRS) since the first one was just a cheapie from Best Buy. So, I picked up some better cables (both TRS and XLR) from Guitar Center. I hadn't noticed the short since replacing the original TRS cables with the new TRS cables...until tonight.

Tonight, I was taking a break from Ableton learning/playing and decided to try mixing some stuff. I thought the sound was quiet even though I always keep it relatively quiet so as to not have to deal with the neighbors. I found out halfway through my set that the "short" has re-appeared, even with the new cables. I checked the connections - they appeared to be solidly connected. I did notice some static coming out of the speaker when I was adjusting, of all things, the wet/dry knob for effects. Anyway, I'm going to switch out the TRS to XLR and see if the problem persists.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing with Rokits or monitors or happen to know based on my feeble attempt to explain the issue if this is internal to the monitor or just my old, arthritic hands not being able to plug a damn cable in?

Anyone have experience going through DJTT for warranty stuff? KRK apparently has a 3-year warranty for their monitors, and this bad boy has only left my house once, came back to my house in pristine condition, never turned up over a 1/4 volume-wise and never dropped or been dropped.

In any case, I'm blaming "the short" for any beat matching errors made in my previous mixes.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

For product warranty, you would usually need to contact the manufacturer. Most retailers will exchange DOA products or ones with problems in the first 30 days, but defer to the manufacturer after that.

That being said, never hurts to contact DJTT to see what their policy is.

And...it's the monitor itself. Plugged in the XLRs, worked fine for a bit until...it didn't. I'll give DJTT a shout and see what, if anything they can do. Doesn't seem like 9 month old monitors should be doing this. (especially since it started at about five months) I'm now not much of a KRK fan.
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

They don't call em "crock..." fer nothin'.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

There are many solutions for your problem. Just try to make use of the latest and the right version of drivers, it may help.

Hah...never heard that.