How do you separate your music for gigs?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How do you separate your music for gigs?

I'm starting to put together my library, and I'm curious what kind of strategy you guys use so I don't have to go back through all of my songs.

How do you guys separate your stuff?

Clean/Dirty

Top 40/EDM?

What have you guys/gals found to be the most effective method of doing this?

Tech Wizard

I sort mines out by keys, then I order it from highest BPM to lowest BPM

Do you keep your listening music separate from your DJ music? How much music are you trying to sort through?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by foxes View Post
    I sort mines out by keys, then I order it from highest BPM to lowest BPM
    So if you had to do it without BPM and key how would you do it? (alot of us learned music organization long before computers did it for you...I think sorting them by BPM and Key takes away your "feel" for your music.)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

Well my collection of music is about 9000 songs, and Im a college student with 2 jobs and I have a radio show, I dont think I have the time to go through every song and go on my piano and find the key of each song and then look at my watch to time the bpm of each song. I have strong fundamentals in music theory as well, but Rekordbox analyzes my songs pretty well so all I really have to do is separate them accordingly. Saves me time and I can focus more on my music than focus on organizing it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    Do you keep your listening music separate from your DJ music? How much music are you trying to sort through?
    I do to a certain extent. No one really listens to the Glitch Mob, but I like them. I was thinking about sorting them songs by genre and type. This way when I'm doing a gig where the music has to be clean, I can play from a list that I know wont be dirty.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by foxes View Post
    I dont think I have the time to go through every song and go on my piano and find the key of each song and then look at my watch to time the bpm of each song.
    His point was that a lot of people do just fine without having the tempo and key of their tunes written down.

I've separated my music into a few styles, e.g. UK Garage, Techno and House.

I usually separate my music by what I might play and what I know I won't play.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

I did well for a while without ever having written it down, my point is that for the sake of time saving, its better to organize it like that. I have a lot of music, but I know most of it pretty well and I know exactly what goes good with what, even if Rekordbox hadn't analyzed for me.

4 folders, genre specified. I don't bring my entire library with me when I play out... That's unnecessary.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast