Stand out or go with the crowd?
    Tech Wizard

Default Stand out or go with the crowd?

Hey guys,

Im going to make a mix of recent music to give as a CD to my local bowling ally and resutants. I got into this debate with a friend weather or not it would be better to play the top 40 music, or music that is not top 40 but similar. What would be better? any oppinions in this matter?

I would do a mixture of both. only top 40 the owner could just the same have a radio station playing so adding similar songs with top 40 people a likely going to like them too
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Wizard

Personally, I would, as a beginner, mostly go with the crowd but maybe with little subtleties to make you stand out, nothing drastic though. Once you have enough rep behind you, only then begin to experiment little by little and try to stand out some more over time. If you do it from the start, you will largely be ignored as venues want dance floor fillers to get the punters in to drink, dance and spend their beer tokens and not sh!t hot experimental controllerists that punters won't really get, bar the controllerists in the crowd.