Another First Gig Thread :)
    Tech Wizard

Default Another First Gig Thread :)

Hey, I know there's a lot of these first gig threads around, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for in the other threads.

I've been DJing at home for a year now, done some open DJ nights, and made a few friends that DJ but still haven't had that first paying gig. I went to a local club last night to pick up tickets for a 3LAU show this weekend and was talking to the manager about all things EDM. He's really trying to grow the scene in town so I asked him how they normally picked their DJs. He said there resident DJ handles all bookings and introduced me to him as he was coming in.

Said DJ was super cool and we had the same taste in music, but we didn't have a chance to really talk since he was getting setup for the night. We exchanged info and he told me to give him a shout. I shot him a text last night to say hey and give him my info. I heard back and told him I'd see him this weekend for his set opening for 3LAU.

My question is: How do I proceed from here? I know there's still openings for their Tuesday and Wednesday night residencies. Is it to crass just to ask how I could be considered for those openings? I figured I should at least post an new mix before reaching out to him as well (been a month since the last one). Any advice would be appreciated.

Show support man, that goes a long way in situations like this. Bring people if you can and just show face, say hi, etc. Show concern in wanting to DJ and it will come man. Gettting *drunk* with the right people also helps lol.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the tip. Getting drunk with the right people is always a good idea, hell it's how I got my current job lol.

Yeah, mix cds or what not might be an okay idea depending on your scene... I know if I passed out mix cds it wouldn't really get me far if I was a nobody. They want the DJs to bring friends, fans, etc.

Tech Wizard

Understandable, that's definitely the way I'll approach it then. Any suggestions on how long to wait to discuss openings?

Tech Wizard

Life is about who you know, knowing the right people can get you places. I got to where I am because I met the right people at the right time. I started off in a club with a small residency in Houston and then I got noticed by a director from NightCulture. Since then my career took off. What I noticed is that you always need to be prepared to showcase your talent and who you are, how are you going to be different than everyone else that is doing what you want to do? Keep practicing a lot, and hang out with those contacts as much as possible, and most importantly, be yourself.