Used DJM 900 or 2000? Your thoughts, please!

Default Used DJM 900 or 2000? Your thoughts, please!

Hey guys,

New to the forum, show some love. Anyway I've recently been thinking about transitioning from producing to doing more DJ'ing and looking at some used DJM's online. I've found (what I think) is a great deal on a DJM 2000 for $1600, or I could go with a 900 Nexus for about $1400. Both are used but claim to be in pristine condition.

So taking price into consideration, and the fact that I'm a complete noob at this stuff (other than the fact that I've been producing for a little bit), what are your thoughts? I've seen many talk down the 2000 and it looks like most clubs use the 900 these days from what I've seen.

Just looking for a little guidance here from some of the more experienced folks out there.

thanks!

I was making the same decision a while ago. I went with the 900 nexus because is the industry standard, is a bit cheaper and has a built in traktor soundcard. If you are planning on DJing with traktor time code (turntables or cdjs) I would definitely recommend the 900. You can just show up to the club, plug in a usb from the mixer into your laptop and you're good to go.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

thank you that is very helpful. I'm definitely going to be using CDJ's since they're used everywhere and are also the industry standard. I didn't know the 2000 didn't come with Traktor, so that certainly steers me toward the 900 nexus even more.

thank you!!

Tech Guru

The 900 does not come with Traktor; it just has a Traktor timecode compatible sound card inside.

You might want to start with something simpler before investing in a CDJ/DJM setup, especially if you've never mixed before.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I agree. If this is your first setup and you plan on using Traktor, there are more affordable options that will yeald similar results. A Traktor certified mixer is very convenient. Hooking up an audio 10 in a cramped booth is a pain in the ass, but a must have if the clubs mixer isn't certified.

There is nothing wrong with buying second hand quality gear. Most of my gear I bought used. For $1620 I got two technics mkii's in odyssey cases, a djm-707 battle mixer, an audio 10, and an x1.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Another option is getting two cdj-400's and any mixer. The 400s can be set up like sound cards in Traktor. I saw a pair and a behringer midi mappable mixer for $300 on craigslist not to long ago.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

I got my DJM900 Nxs for < $1400 new, so look for deals if that's the mixer you want. Yes, it's Traktor Certified which is nice, but if your goal is to play out, you never know what mixer (likely from Pioneer - all are not Traktor certified) you'll run into.

And yeah, that's a lot of coin for someone just starting with DJing.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by funke View Post
    Another option is getting two cdj-400's and any mixer. The 400s can be set up like sound cards in Traktor. I saw a pair and a behringer midi mappable mixer for $300 on craigslist not to long ago.
    Yeah I think I'm going to search for a cheaper option until I have more practice under my feet. I need to do a little bargain shopping because like others have mentioned the 900 is quite a bit of cash for a noobie to shell out. Especially if i can get a similar sound from other mixers.

I would commit to the DJM-900. I wouldn't go spending more money to get the 2000 because having the 900 doesn't mean you're losing out on anything that the 2000 has. This is my personal opinion. The 900 has everything I need is what I'm trying to say.

I think it's average price but I would try to get it for under $1200. Bargain with the guy.
    I'm not sure where you'd get it for under $1400 like ImNotDedYet is saying. I wish I knew.

Obviously if you're starting out you can find cheaper that do the job, but the last thing you want is a cheap mixer, or something that doesn't do the job.

Tech Guru

If you're just starting DJing you could probably get away with a DJM 800 or DJM 850 to save some cash.

Denon has nice mixers too, although not industry standard.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior