friends "intimidated" by my dj gear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default friends "intimidated" by my dj gear

i need some help here guys.
    so i have a couple of friends who hang out here a lot. one is in a band and plays guitar, the other makes music with a maschine and various software, both are talented musicians.
    i frequently see them checking out all the dj gear i have, but every time i ask them if they want to try it or learn, both decline.
    can anybody give me any insights into what is going on here?
    its just difficult for me to think they dont "want" to at least try djing, since they are both so musically inclined.
    i'm concerned that it has something to do with me or my approach to share ...

Maybe they think it looks cool just as I think a guitar or a drum set looks cool, yet I can't play them.

Tech Guru

Well, what's your gear to begin with?

Tech Mentor

This is such an odd topic.

They don't want to sound like complete tools in front of someone who knows what they're doing because they'd be doing something they have no familiarity with. Lock them in the room by themself in a half hour and listen through the door with a glass to the door. I'll bet you hear something
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    Well, what's your gear to begin with?
    i have some stanton stuff- 2 scs1d, 1 scs1m, 2 scs3d, 2 scs3m, 2 t92 turntables, 3 stanton scs4dj
    i have a reloop terminal 4, a vestax typhoon, and a controller that i made from two djtech vtt 101s
    i have a djtech dif1s mixer, and an apex gold mixer

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    They don't want to sound like complete tools in front of someone who knows what they're doing because they'd be doing something they have no familiarity with. Lock them in the room by themself in a half hour and listen through the door with a glass to the door. I'll bet you hear something
    yes, thankyou, because usually if i go to the kitchen or something then come back, that's when they're up thre messing with the controllers. both seem a lot more interested in controllers that tts

yep, but what i'm wondering is what i can say to teach them or whatever. because, "hey do you want me to show you how to use it" isn't working

this is to kwal(i didnt click reply with quote)

Quote Originally Posted by filespnr View Post
    yep, but what i'm wondering is what i can say to teach them or whatever. because, "hey do you want me to show you how to use it" isn't working

this is to kwal(i didnt click reply with quote)
    Maybe they just don't want to learn.... Flashing lights and shiny objects are usually things that catch ones eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Maybe they just don't want to learn.... Flashing lights and shiny objects are usually things that catch ones eye.
    i mean, if thats the case, then thats cool and everything. i just want to make sure that I'm doing what i can to share something. maybe it's just me, but i enjoy djing so much, i always think everybody else will. plus, both pals have taught me to do what they do (my guitar playing is gettin pretty good, thanks rob&#128513

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast