From Traktor to Ableton
    Tech Convert

Default From Traktor to Ableton

I've been using traktor for a while but saw the Apc40 mkii and was wondering how drastic a transition would be? Can someone that DJs using ableton tell me what the process of setup and all takes? I want to be sure before I make the switch! It just seems like there are more possibilities with Live as opposed to Traktor! Thank you!

So different. Sets need to be planned out before hand (to a degree). Bought one myself and tried it out but didn't see me intuitive enough for me and didn't allow for spontaneity and completely changing the direction of the set. Just my 2 cents tho.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

I personally wouldn't recommend making the switch just like that. Its more intended for people who are already using ableton on a regular basis. Its not the quickest of programs to pick up off the bat either.

Its also a different way of mixing since all your tracks will already be instantly in sync and cue on beat...

To me its more for the performer not a dj.

unless your talking about the apc40 with a mixer set up.

Traktor is a dj environment where you can react on the spot, ableton is a production environment (never really meant or designed to dj) where preparation is key.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Mentor

+10 on the preparation comments. If you come from a traditional dj background prior the digital era, it will be a little frustrating. But, if you are a producer by trade, it is the best program to perform your stuff live. Many use it in conjunction with something like Traktor to add elements, control effects, or control lighting etc.
    I'd give it a shot, but be aware it is very easy to go overboard because of the massive capabilities.
    An alternative would be to get an F1 and use the remix decks in Traktor. You miss the extra VSTs and effects, but it covers the clip launching and live remix aspect. And, allows you to switch back and forth to a more traditional set.
    NI putting a full Maschine integration would be the best of all worlds, though.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the advice! I think im going to check out ableton before I decide to make the decision and see what all it entails. Ive messed with it before but never to do something like djing. I could always just get Live Remote for my ipad and try using that?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    +10 on the preparation comments. If you come from a traditional dj background prior the digital era, it will be a little frustrating. But, if you are a producer by trade, it is the best program to perform your stuff live. Many use it in conjunction with something like Traktor to add elements, control effects, or control lighting etc.
    I'd give it a shot, but be aware it is very easy to go overboard because of the massive capabilities.
    An alternative would be to get an F1 and use the remix decks in Traktor. You miss the extra VSTs and effects, but it covers the clip launching and live remix aspect. And, allows you to switch back and forth to a more traditional set.
    NI putting a full Maschine integration would be the best of all worlds, though.

I completely agree with TonyRome´s statement.
    I use Live to play around with sounds, but I can´t imagine to dj with it. And by the way, Live´s midi features aren´t comparable to Traktor´s advanced midi possibilities.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Live is so powerful it's ridiculous.

But it really suffers from a lack of mp3 tag browsing,

There are work arounds for all of the issues that you guys have mentioned here, but the truth is, it's just much more complicated than Traktor, and it takes A LOT to learn how to use it.

Creativity wise, though, it pisses all over Traktor from a great height. Dummy Clips, Routing, Chain Selector/macros - the list goes on...

We could do with some input from Tariketh in this thread.
    Last edited by Patch; 04-29-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

For the 99.9% of DJ'ing, traktor has it all especially since the remix decks were unlocked it opens up Traktor to the stage that Ableton was being used for by DJ's primarily - e.g. sample based DJ sets.

However there are things that live can do for a DJ set that Traktor just can't e.g. VST's like Turnado, individual effects per sample channel.

Personally I think the APC 40 mk2 makes even less sense for DJ'ing than its predecessor though, I wish they had added at a bare minimum 2 additional knob-knobs per channel for simultaneous EQ/Gain control.

As mentioned the simple function of browsing within the interface SUCKS, especially if all your music (or even samples) is stored in the likes of iTunes you'll be jumping in-and-out of both softwares if you want to grab something on the fly.

Mapping also is definitely not as good as traktor and you will end up mousing around for some functions.

With Live 9 there was a ton of stuff they could have done to solidify itself as an alternative DJ tool e.g. Browser / iTunes / Default Channel EQ's, simultaneous waveforms, better mapping support. But they chose to ignore DJ's completely in the update.

As patch says there are workarounds for some features e.g. Keyboard > Midi translators for some missing mapping commands, but they are only workarounds and every workaround has its limitations and creates yet more links in the chain that can become unstable.

One thing I will say though is that I get more Gawking Eyes and Signs of Peer Approval, thumbs up etc .... when playing with My APC + Ableton vs Playing with Traktor & Traditional 2 deck controller, even if the music coming out of the speakers is the same.

Tech Convert

Default Traktor best dj software, Ableton is something else

I personally think that the latest version of Traktor is almost "perfect". You can almost prepare a live set in the remix decks and at the same time you can mix tracks super easily.
    In any case, don't forget that if you have a powerful controller (like the Livid Cntrl:R or the APC) you can also use both (traktor and Live) at the same time.

The only thing that I personally don't advice is using only Live for djing. It takes super long and I don't think that takes enough advantages to justify the switch!