Getting started in djing minimal techno...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting started in djing minimal techno...

Where can I learn to dj minimal techno or similar, basically no mainstream bullshit. I djayed in the past, but strictly hiphop, but would like to start djing minimal techno, something like Richie Hawtin boiler room set, but being that techno is not even my genre, I wouldn't know where to start, so if anybody can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, even some music to reference would be great, thanks!

So are you asking how to mix music that you aren't even familiar with? You should probably find some music you like first, and then worry about how to mix it.

I like techno, I just didn't grow up listening to it, but the reason I want to dj minimal is because it's basically producing on the fly, plus I can't stand vocals, they just get in the way of the music, unless it's some harmonies or something. I grew up listening to hiphop, but djing hiphop is wack to me, but I like all music, so if u cant give some good constructive feed back with out any wise comments, then please dont respond to my post at all, cause you'll just be wasting both of our time.

Ricardo Villalobos - watch his Youtube sets and buy lots of his music.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Have fun mixing music that pretty much is gonna work everytime haha.

Thanks DedYet, that was a good look, youtubed his name and got some cool results, which led to a 4hr set of Richie Hawtin and matador in Ibiza, shit was crazy!!!

aquire a particularly monotonous track, set 4 bar loop, spam delays = bitchin' minimal set. no one will even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
    Where can I learn to dj minimal techno or similar, basically no mainstream bullshit. I djayed in the past, but strictly hiphop, but would like to start djing minimal techno, something like Richie Hawtin boiler room set, but being that techno is not even my genre, I wouldn't know where to start, so if anybody can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, even some music to reference would be great, thanks!
    I think the others are correct in suggesting you may want to get some knowledge of techno.

Techno is probably the second most expansive style of dance music (house being the most.)

Even just minimal has tons of sub-styles (if that's even a term.)

Which direction are you even trying to go in? Just trying to play stuff that Hawtin plays?

I have to laugh at your comment, Era 7. There is a lot of truth to that, which is a bit sad.

Of course, I listen to mostly dub techno, so laughing at that comment is kind of hypocritical on my part.

Why are the moderators not posting any of my reply's, what kind censorship is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    aquire a particularly monotonous track, set 4 bar loop, spam delays = bitchin' minimal set. no one will even notice.
    Monotonous is a good thing if u ask me, because I'm not looking for a false sense of enjoyment in the music I listen to anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast