Getting paid for DJing.
    Tech Wizard

Default Getting paid for DJing.

How many of you DJ for a living or even get paid for every gig you do?

I thought this topic was interesting cause I am an amateur DJ that only started getting paid recently for my gigs and I have been DJing for 2 years now. I only started gigging a year after but did practice playing for some house parties. It have came to my thought wondering how some people get paid so much for these gigs they do regularly and only been DJing for a short period of time. What bugs me most is their skills, as much as I love their track selections but how can one be syncing/premixing their whole set be look upon as a pro? (Who am I to judge though, maybe they are good...)

I was blown away by the money they make regularly when they told me about it. I then told them I gigged for free but want to be paid for DJing in the future. I gigged for free cause it was what I loved doing. I enjoy playing music for people and I love that feeling you get when you rock the dance floor...

Let's hear your thoughts!

PS, this is my first contribution to the forum as I have been lurking for years now and I am generally not a talkative person.

I've pretty much been paid for every gig I've done for 18 years. I've done a couple of family birthdays for no money, but normally paid a bottle of Canadian Club for the night instead. For about a year or 2 I was only working as a DJ, working every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, but I found that even though I was clearing a decent amount of money each week I was spending it all on my days off!

For the last 12 years though I have been working full time and working most Friday and Saturday nights, and for the most part I'm on about $100 per hour for my DJ work, minimum shift is 3 hours a night and can go upto 6 if I have to do a double. I also do mobile work which starts at $600 to which I bring all the gear. Even after all this time I still enjoy both pub/club work and doing mobile parties, the money is an awesome bonus ... And as my wife keeps saying, even if I wasn't paid I'd still want to DJ and she's right.

As for the people who say they get paid huge money after a short time in the game, good on them for probably talking or promoting themselves into that position ... Time will tell how long they stay on that rung of the ladder though! I'm sure I could have stepped higher if I wanted to but honestly I'm extremely happy with where I'm at and what I do, and I've never not been paid at the end of more than 1600 gigs.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Tech Mentor

Shit that is a lot of money Frankle! Over here the normal gage for a 4-5 hour gig is somewhere between €75 and €150 in total and some of the bit bigger names get like €250,- (but only in a few places).

Playing for free is always a no no. At least get your travel expenses covered. But think about it; every time a DJ works for free, he takes another DJ's bread and butter.

I've only played about 5 gigs but most clubs seem to hold a policy of first gig for free, after that get paid. Anyhow, last night was the first one i've been paid for (the second one at the club) and I had to ask the promoter about pay before the gig and then ask him on the night too... he was fine about it but it just shows you have to chase people up, they're not just gonna give you money!

I enjoy DJing but I just think if you're good at something, don't do it for free!

Tech Wizard

Love the response guys! I only started charging because I landed my first residency with a local entertainment group. I worked hard, practice almost everyday and finally people finally appreciate my work... I didn't want to rely on popularity. As I learn more, I strive for more. My goal is to be somewhat at your level frankle! Time's tough, I also work full time job and gig Friday nights now. My dream is to be working my full-time job and be the resident DJ for the best local clubs here!