External Hard Drive to hold Komplete 9
    Tech Wizard

Default External Hard Drive to hold Komplete 9

Hey guys,

Im looking to buy Komplete 9, but the only thing is that its 370gs of sound that I don't want taking up my space in the laptop. I had the Idea that what I could do is buy an Apple time machine which could be used as a server to link an external Hard Drive to the time machine and access all of Komplete 9 through the wifi into my mac.

My question for you guys is, it even possible for this to happen? if it is would there be any thing slowing it down in any way?

Love to hear what you guys have to think

Tech Guru

You can use external hard drives to store Komplete's libraries. I don't know if it will work through Time Machine over Wifi though.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Alright Ill see what I could do with that and see if its possible

Tech Guru

I recently installed Komplete and it would not allow me to install to a external drive. I ended up having to redo my primary hard drive as a fusion drive to make it work (to give me enough room).

Tech Guru

I had no problems specifying a secondary drive for the library files when installing Komplete 8 and 9.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I have all my sound libraries stored on a secondary drive on my desktop. Would think an external would work the same.
    I believe there would only be a performance issue when loading up samples ... As I think Kontakt loads samples in RAM, not streaming from a drive.

It's definitely preferable to install the plugins themselves to your local hard drive - and these actually don't take up too much space.

The real bulk of the space comes from the Kontakt/Battery libraries, and you can select to install those on an external hard drive.

I also use the same strategy for Ableton Live itself. Live goes on the main hard drive. Then all of the Ableton Live Packs go on the external drive.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

I have my Komplete 9 installed to an external G-Tech Thunderbolt disk.

When you install, you just need to select to install the "content" to a different disk. It'll still install the applications/plug-ins to your main disk, but the really big stuff will go wherever you tell it to go.

I wouldn't install it into a Time Machine (using it as a NAS). It would impact your loading up samples too much. Imagine browsing through presets, it would be fairly annoying.