DJ sabotage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ sabotage

Default DJ sabotage

I just want to share my experience yesterday night, and see if you guys ever had similar or probably worse experiences and how you dealt with it.

This is how he ruined my performance. While I'm playing my second song, the DJ that played before me is still in the DJ booth and for some reason he decides to touch something on his laptop and the song just stops. (I was using his equipment because that's what we agreed on doing)
    During another song, he decided to filter out a part of the song (which sounded good) but forgot to turn off the effect during the drop so there was no bass during the drop.
    That's when I told him to leave the booth. I think he sabotaged my set on purpose.

To start off, when I got there I noticed that the equipment is different then what they told me. I'm a bit disappointed but it's no big deal. I start playing... I'm completely lost on how to use Serato! (never used serato in my life before that moment). I just didn't understand how he set up his equipment. It wasn't even mapped. Some buttons on the CDJs didn't even work (for example; looping and cues), I had to click on the laptop...

I played after some douchebags once. A few things the dumb kids did that were very rude in my opinion:

-Their last track was not a consistant BPM (was a house music event so thats not a common thing)
    -Pushed buttons on the CDJ right after I put my USB in so I didn't have a chance to load my rekordbox settings.
    -Left the CDJs and mixer at all sorts of wack settings.
    -Not sure if it was their fault but the CDJs emergency looped on me a few times till I switched to a different CDJ USB port with a backup flash drive.

These kids were arrogant assholes to me, the sound guy, and the promotors and i'll never forget it. Just something to move on from..

Last night the guy before me was playing crazy frog, if that counts

It could have been sheer ignorance, there have been many times when people have tried to "add on" to my set by pressing stuff and they've completely messed things up. On the other hand, if you do feel like he was doing it on purpose, just keep your distance from him, its a very petty thing to do.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    Last night the guy before me was playing crazy frog, if that counts
    LOL That definitely counts!

Most guys are chill and I enjoy if they just try to do one of their tricks on a track I'm playing, if it sounds nice, I learn from it. It's possible he wasn't doing it on purpose, but maybe he just didn't care if he fucked up. Well, it won't happen again. I'll have my eyes open.

One guy quickly turned up the master volume on the mixer before he left...
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Get used to it folks.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Back in vinyl days i had athe warm up dj before knock a deck on my first mix... it was a drum and bass night and i was building up to badman double drop, and had the two tunes riding for like 1.30 secs before the drop... Mid mix he "accidentally" bumps the deck sort of ruining it... I just did a rewind and did it again proper (luckily acceptable for jungle nights) but told him to get the fuck out the booth.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    I just want to share my experience yesterday night, and see if you guys ever had similar or probably worse experiences and how you dealt with it.

This is how he ruined my performance. While I'm playing my second song, the DJ that played before me is still in the DJ booth and for some reason he decides to touch something on his laptop and the song just stops. (I was using his equipment because that's what we agreed on doing)
    During another song, he decided to filter out a part of the song (which sounded good) but forgot to turn off the effect during the drop so there was no bass during the drop.
    That's when I told him to leave the booth. I think he sabotaged my set on purpose.

To start off, when I got there I noticed that the equipment is different then what they told me. I'm a bit disappointed but it's no big deal. I start playing... I'm completely lost on how to use Serato! (never used serato in my life before that moment). I just didn't understand how he set up his equipment. It wasn't even mapped. Some buttons on the CDJs didn't even work (for example; looping and cues), I had to click on the laptop...
    it sounds more like you sabotaged yourself...using equipment/software in a club environment you have never used before. you weren't prepared at all.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

if i'm opening, as soon as i get into the club, i go straight to the next act if he is there, and ask what is the BPM he wants me to end with so he can mix in. Its only common courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    it sounds more like you sabotaged yourself...using equipment/software in a club environment you have never used before. you weren't prepared at all.
    I did good though! lol But good point... After 5 minutes, I was about to tell him to take over, but I got into it, turned out great except for his stupidity of pressing pause or cue or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast