Dissertation help - Music's effect on identity - why is this important to study?

Default Dissertation help - Music's effect on identity - why is this important to study?

Hello Guys,

It's come to that time in my university career where I have to start planning my dissertation study. For mine I have decided on researching the question:

Examine the way in which people classify and categorize themselves through their music listening practices and preferences

What this boils down to, is a study into the way in which subcultures are formed around music, and how entire lifestyles, appearances and mindsets can be influenced by different music genres.

However, for the introduction segment of my dissertation proposal, I am looking to include why this study would have importance of any kind - sort of goes beyond "I want to study this because I'm interested in it", and into "why would research into this area be beneficial to anyone beyond yourself"..

So that is the question I propose to you, why is this study important?

any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

I'll be honest... I don't see this being very beneficial to anyone other than yourself... Your question is too observational. You need to look for effects that are 'beneficial/harmful' to society so maybe one genre of listeners are performing better in school or one genre of listeners are more outgoing. The way your dissertation is currently worded, it is simply suggesting that people classify and categorize themselves according to the music they listen (DUH, too obvious, look at goths vs classical vs rock vs rap etc.). So for example, a better (and overused) topic would be, "To what effect does rap music have on influencing the young male population on violence".

To be blunt, the forum is not the best place to ask for help since I doubt many people here have experience with research. Go to your peers and your advisor and just talk about it.
    Last edited by SlvrDragon50; 05-12-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I'll be honest... I don't see this being very beneficial to anyone other than yourself... Your question is too observational. You need to look for effects that are 'beneficial/harmful' to society so maybe one genre of listeners are performing better in school or one genre of listeners are more outgoing. The way your dissertation is currently worded, it is simply suggesting that people classify and categorize themselves according to the music they listen (DUH, too obvious, look at goths vs classical vs rock vs rap etc.). So for example, a better (and overused) topic would be, "To what effect does rap music have on influencing the young male population on violence".

To be blunt, the forum is not the best place to ask for help since I doubt many people here have experience with research. Go to your peers and your advisor and just talk about it.
    Oh yeah of course I'm asking a range of sources, asked my tutors etc, just looking for a selection of ideas as to why it could be deemed beneficial - it's also not vital that it is beneficial, nor is this set in stone - this is just a proposal, dissertation begins after summer!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E