Upgrade or falling for the hype

Default Upgrade or falling for the hype

Hey all,

Not too long ago I repurchased my old kit, cdj-400's and a djm-400. Been having fun, dabbled in the new tech with traktor but stuck with my cd's mostly.

Since these cdj-400's are so inexpensive (now after 5 years) I'm starting to see more videos and usage of four deck mixes and I'm wondering if it's necessary, worth it or even can take a mix to a new level of uniqueness? Obviously my 2ch mixer would need to go sadly but what's everyone's take on 3 or 4 deck mixes? Is it genre specific, I'd imagine dubstep being just white noise with more than 2 decks but I don't work with that genre.

Is 2 plenty for an ol hobbyist?

I can see an argument for 3-deck mixing in ANY genre. Even if you use a deck specifically for drum loops only.

4-decks, however, is a lot more complicated. progression from 2 to 3 decks is very do-able. But from 3 to 4 (I imagine) is much tougher.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I can see an argument for 3-deck mixing in ANY genre. Even if you use a deck specifically for drum loops only.

4-decks, however, is a lot more complicated. progression from 2 to 3 decks is very do-able. But from 3 to 4 (I imagine) is much tougher.
    I think that's a great point. So much of all the 4 deck talk in DJing is hype.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

A sampler or something like the RMX1000 would be a far better purchase than another 2 decks these days IMHO.

I could understand 3 or 4 decks on vinyl and even CDJ's when they were just CD players in the box and pretty much no-one messed with the house gear and samplers were wayyyy beyond the technical know how of 99% of the DJs out there. But now you you can just load up bank loads of stuff on a single device

I for one completely fail to see the point in a third deck for sampling when there are devices specifically designed to do it "better".

Of course its looks impressive

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I for one completely fail to see the point in a third deck for sampling when there are devices specifically designed to do it "better".
    Manipulating the sample man. Often I'll have a long (>1 min) mix going and would like to scratch and effect some samples over the mix on a 3rd deck. This is something I do when on 3+ CDJs but something I miss when on 2 turntables.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Manipulating the sample man. Often I'll have a long (>1 min) mix going and would like to scratch and effect some samples over the mix on a 3rd deck. This is something I do when on 3+ CDJs but something I miss when on 2 turntables.
    Scratching is an exception, however not that many 3 deck "wizards" even do that.

Tech Guru

Threes plenty for anyone, four deck mixing even techno gets a bit much IMO