Traktor+Serato+VDJ
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor+Serato+VDJ

First I'd like to relieve you all that I'm not starting another comparison thread. I currently use traktor s4 mk2, and I want to buy the ddj-sx as well. My question is can Traktor+Serato+VDJ live on the same laptop and play nicely together (not corrupt each others files or folders)?

Why would you want it, and why don't you just try it?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

Yes, you can install many programs on the same computer.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Thanks Makar1 your response is greatly appreciated

Tech Convert

I have all 3 on my machine currently, I generally use VDJ when playing for mobile gigs that last 2+ hours, but I much prefer Traktor for any performance type gigs that are an hour or less (I find having a collection of 600k tracks doesn't bode well for Traktor for some reason so need to keep the collection trim, VDJ can handle it all fine though).

My only issues currently are when I inevitably end up with a booking due to a performance gig and they expect that along with the mobile party type affair, in which case, my only option currently seems to be to play something via line in from CD or even my phone while I swap over software (Both of them take full control of the controller if they were the first one opened, so I need to exit one to start the other).

You could have 2 controllers though if you found yourself in my position, neither need to have full control over the audio outputs (make sure to turn off "Exclusive" mode in the sound settings for your PC by right clicking the speaker on your taskbar, go to Playback Devices, SoundCardName, Advanced...)

Also not trying to start a flamewar, thankfully some of us are happy to use whichever software best suits the situation <3

in vdj's case it reads the data from the track only the first time it is seen or is explicitly told to re-read the file by the user. This means that any changes to the tags you make will not show up in the VDJ Database if they were made outside of the program. You can write to the tags from the software though.

The other main issue would be if you re-named or re-located the file outside of VDJ as the database would have the wrong link. Personally I think VDJ's database is far better than Traktor or Serato but this is a limitation that is traded off for having a super fast browser of unlimited volume over unlimited dnives, and the best smart filters/crates of any of the three you have mentioned.

As for having all three on one computer, there is no problem other than outlined above. I have all three installed on my computer. Although I have only run them separately, not that I think anyone would ever need to run them in parallel.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys I'm now confident to give it a try.

Tech Wizard

Hard to believe I started this thread nearly A year ago....I didn't go to DDJ-SX at that time, I decided to wait, hoping that NI would finally come out with TPS3....which they haven't. So finally after all the debating i went with the DDJ-SX2. Too many venues were starting to ask for video which I didn't have, not to mention the build quality of pioneer just seems to be better. I'm not selling my s4 mk2 in hopes that NI will get their act together soon...thanks for all the advice guys....