Playing many genres or focussing on one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Playing many genres or focussing on one?

Heya, I haven't posted here in a while!

Anyways, here where I live the deep/tech house scene isn't very big so gigging has been a bit slow for me lately.
    Even though deep/tech house is what I love the most I do like other genres as well, melbourne bounce for example (aussies I know, but it's not as over-played over here :P)

I've mostly been profiling myself as a deep & tech DJ, would it be wise to start profiling myself as a more mainstream house DJ as well?
    And wouldn't that compromise my rep as a deep/tech DJ?

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Just profile yourself as a DJ. There's nothing stopping you mixing between genres - if 2 songs "fit" together, they fit together.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

It's not so much that things fit together (try fitting electro in a deep house set :P ) but rather what kind of gigs I'd be playing at

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Tech Guru

As long as you enjoy the music you play (or the money you make off it) and have enough time to dig in different genres, I don't see a problem with playing various types of gigs. If you're worried about 'selling out', you could always use different aliases.

I literally do the same thing. I play bounce when I do local gigs and all that fun stuff but when I do clubs in downtown Chicago I play strictly deep/techno. It depends really though.. I've done a club in Indianapolis where I started out with deep, then moved into bounce to test the waters and got a huge response after that. I've also closed out main rooms here in Chicago in which my buddy wold tell me to just close out with my bounce shit. I wouldn't worry about being so strict, because being a DJ has no boundaries.

e/ As long as people know what you spin and that you know how to spin it accordingly, then you should be ok.

when im doing a full night i always travel between genres and i try to get to certain genres at certain points of the night. Because of their energy level.
    Keep in mind while the songs might fit a specific genre, you are dealing with CROWD of people and not everyone of them wants to hear dubstep or electro.

Its possible you play some deep-tech here and there and the people appreciate the set even more because now they wont get burnt out on it

Tech Convert

You live in North-Holland and you say deep-techhouse is not big? What?! Every club in Amsterdam has Deephouse dj's atm and the festivals in North-Holland are mostly Deephouse as well.

Stay with it!

Well yeah, that's Amsterdam. I live in the northern most tip of North-Holland, and there's not so much here...

I like what Kwal does though, and I think I'll do that as well. More mainstream stuff in my hometown and whenever I go to Amsterdam or even Alkmaar I'll try to play deep/tech.

Tech Mentor

Feeling you bro, alhoewel het in Groningen nog een stuk erger is als je geen producer bent, I'm actually playing loads of popsongs that would make most DJTT'ers shoot theirselves. However, for me that's the difference between gigging weekly and gigging barely if ever at all.

Just go for it!

Tech Wizard

What is Bounce?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast