Paying to get your DJ mix played? ugh
    Tech Mentor

Default Paying to get your DJ mix played? ugh

So I just got an email on mixcloud about a "radio show" that wanted me to do a guest mix. I go and check it out and they actually want me to pay 15GBP to submit a mix to their radio show on this random internet station.
    They get like 20 plays on their mixes on mixcloud and want to charge for this privilege.
    Paying to play my mix? are people really this insane?

that is just completely rediculous and it makes things REALLY hard for station owners like myself.
    Im very glad you brought up this topic Don.
    In all fairness i do charge the djs on my station a monthly "Dues" of $10 and its been that way since the station came out in 2005.
    But thats not so they can submit a SINGLE mix each month.
    Its for:
    Server space
    Podcast inclusion
    any promotional help they want
    hell i even work up flyers for their gigs when they need them (the original flyer image, not all the printed copies)
    At one point there were so many djs paying into it, i actually took all the money and bought everyone 500 personalized business cards for each individual dj and shipped it to each of them. Didnt matter where they were on the planet. They were more than happy to take them and sure enough, that following month, the site starting hitting upwards of 10,00 hits per day.

The djs like the service and the site so much that a few of then dont even pay $10. Instead they voluntarily send $15 or whatever over $10. I mean honestly, one of the djs has 4 gigs of dj mixes in the server. He is currently doing his 400th episode this weekend with me and its great.
    They know full well that the station makes no money, infact i still pay a bit out of pocket
    (royalties, broadcast licensing, server space / bandwidth) and every year i need to replace the computer that runs it all so the computer alone is usually a $500 bill.

But thats just plain bullshiat to have to pay to SUBMIT a single mix to someone who will only play it once
    That djs on my station get to do a live show broadcast every week on their scheduled day,
    make and submit as many mixes each month as they want
    and everything is saved into the streaming server, so their mixes and live show recordings still go into a random playlist

NOT just a one off thing.

This crap thing you are talking about really does make me kinda sick.
    If you are going to pay, you should be getting something out of it.

Djs do gigs in nightclubs and still they have to pay for parking...but their getting something out of it

Tech Mentor

Sounds like "Payloa" - Bribery made to a dj in exchange for promotion of an album or single. Derived from the words 'pay' (give money to) and 'victrola' (a record player).

Been around as long as radio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payola

http://www.history-of-rock.com/payola.htm

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    WOW so early in my dj life i was hit with almost EVERYONE of those little scheming lines.
    They had me suckered!
    When i found out the truth i was bent the hell outta shape.

Like i said, the djs on the station dont HAVE TO PAY, they just offer it as dues to have space on the server and help costs.
    Its not admonitory and they still get what the other djs get anyway