NI Rant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NI Rant

Tech Wizard

Default NI Rant

Anyone else have serious problems with NI's way of licensing their software and the general customer service?

About a year ago my laptop was stolen and I decided to give up DJing for a while to concentrate on work and because of the general lack of a computer. Last week I try to get back into it and have been running into wall after wall trying to get all my software back up and running.

First thing I did was log into their website and find my old license. It was still there and I used the download link to get the software. Then it tells me my serial number is locked and to contact customer service. I send them an email and wait about a week for them to reset my serial. Next it gives me some BS about my serial being for an upgrade only?? I originally bought Traktor Scratch Pro several years back and later paid the extra $79 to upgrade to Traktor 2. I guess this is a problem for them. Now I'm completely stuck as I don't have the original CD and there's no info on the website about I'm supposed to fix this. Anyone been in a similar situation know what to do? I already sent them an email but it'll probably be another week before I get any response.

I just feel like NI needs a better system of handling these issues than constantly emailing and waiting for a response. I really like serato's method of dealing with licensing by tying the license to the hardware. Anyone can download the software but it won't function until you plug in official serato hardware. Another good solution would be if we could somehow manage our activations online. For example if I want to sell my Traktor equipment, I could just login in to my account and delete the activation from my account. Then the new person has no problem installing it. Don't get me wrong I think Traktor is an amazing piece of software, just wish their licensing scheme wasn't such a mess.

Did you call? I find that I need to actually get the right person from NI on the phone to get anything done.

Tech Wizard

No have not tried that. I just found the number on their website. Will give it a shot when they are open this week. Thanks for the info! Hopefully they can solve the issues right away.

Tech Mentor

They're not known for their great customer support. I worked at a pro audio store and remember battling them several times on behalf of the customer.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:21 PM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Wouldn't you have been better emailing NI support, posting on the NI forum or asking an NI moderator for advice/help before ranting (as you put it) about it on the DJTechTools forum..? Jus sayin' not having a go.

If you bought an upgrade then it seems that the serial number that you recovered was indeed the 'Upgrade Serial Number' which is totally useless without the base product serial number so no it is not "BS" it is correct. This is not a failure on NI's part. It's a bit like having your car stolen and then the Police recovering just the wheels...they are useless without the rest of the car.

Try NI Registration support. They will help.
    http://www.native-instruments.com/en...ation-support/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Biome Digital View Post
    I would have to say I have had no problems so far (using their products for years now) but updating their software can be a pain sometimes! lol
    I think that has always been my problem with NI products. The service center never seems to work properly. I have yet to get Traktor to update through that software. I usually end up doing it manually. In doing so, I end up having to reimport my settings. It seems a little bit asinine. Luckily I've never had problems doing it that way. I can't say it will be so flawless in the future.
    Last edited by mrdorianjames; 05-28-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    Techno/Experimental

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Tech Mentor

I'm on a mac. It's never updated through the service center. It never says I have updates.
    Techno/Experimental

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

99% of issues with Service Centre are solved by reinstalling it from the Free Updates page on the NI website.
    If you a Traktor updates is missing, reinstall Service Centre no matter if you are running the newest version.
    This may sound daft but it has proved to be true for years and years. Service Centre does not always update itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast