Recording mixes with Traktor 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recording mixes with Traktor 2

Hey all,

Purchased Traktor 2 over the weekend and I ran into a small snag. I'm not able to record my mixes with Traktor 2. The older version of Traktor would allow me to record from my DJM-400 via a rca to 1/8 input on my MacBook Pro. I'm not quite sure but it seems that Traktor 2 has done away with being able to record from the audio input on the MacBook Pro.

I've spent the weekend getting my head wrapped around using Traktor 2 with my CDJ-400's and so far so good minus some mapping and functionality I'll just have to deal with because I don't have a S4 or S2, I'm not quite sure what else I can do at this point to record my mixes. Only other option I think but haven't received my 1/8 to rca, would be to somehow record through my komplete audio 6.

I know a 4ch mixer with a sound card would help alleviate all of this but for now I'm trying to avoid it only because if I do I'll end up getting GAS all over again and essentially buying stuff I "think" I really need when in reality I don't.

Anyone else with an old school mixer trying to record their mixes with Traktor 2 run into an issue like this?

Mate, you need to invest in a soundcard with at least 1 set of inputs to record from an external source such as a mixer. I use an audio 6 myself and run the record out from my denon into the main in on the a6.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Mate, you need to invest in a soundcard with at least 1 set of inputs to record from an external source such as a mixer. I use an audio 6 myself and run the record out from my denon into the main in on the a6.
    I had figured that I could have used my Komplete Audio 6 with a 1/4 to RCA cable from the output on my mixer and record in Traktor but that's not happening. I'm just daft at it apparently or I'm just genuinely pushing the limits trying to incorporate analog gear with digital.

The soundcard is lit up green but Traktor won't recognize it at all.

I think I'm just going to buy a physical external recording device I'll give the A6 a look.

Well that changes things lol. Of course you can use the KA6 to record.
    If you are using the KA6 as your output source from traktor, here are the settings you need.

Set mix recorder source to external and select Deck D in the dropdown
    Set Inputs for Deck D to what they are on the KA6 (This makes Deck D your Recording Channel)
    If all is good, you should see some action in the audio recorder box.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

You need to use the same sound card for your record input as you are using for your Traktor deck output. So if you're using your KA6 for Traktor output, you'll be able to use the KA6 line inputs to record within Traktor.

On the other hand, if you are using your CDJ 400s for sound output, you will need to aggregate them with your Macbook's onboard audio - this will make the Macbook's Line In available within Traktor, so you can use it to record from.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Gents,

Got home from work, gave it another go. Bugger this I say. I know it's probably easy to do but it's just not happening for me.

My current setup
    ----------------------------------------
    Traktor 2
    MacBook Pro mid 2010
    Two CDJ-400's and a DJM-400
    Komplete Audio 6
    ----------------------------------------
    Audio is coming in from each CDJ into my mixer and out to the PA on one output and on the other it's going into the KA6.

On my mac in the Audio MIDI Setup application, I've setup a aggregate audio device consisting of Deck A and Deck B for each CDJ-400.

I will say that my previous experience with an earlier version of Traktor has shown it's face again in Traktor 2. Traktor 2 also acts like a wanker when I start it up sometimes, having to muck about in the control panel to re-assign Deck A and Deck B and configure my audio inputs each and every time I go to setup and play. Bit of an annoyance but wondering if this could also indicate a deeper problem with why I can't record.

So for a laugh I tried to add the KA6 to my current aggregate audio device but the Audio MIDI Setup application crashes every time. So in Traktor it's either one aggregate device or the other but not both so at this point I'm knackered and partly fed up with all the mucking about.

I do want to say thank you for the tips and ideas but for whatever reason, this just seems like it's not going to get sorted and I think this has to do with the older gear I have and trying to incorporate it into new software that is designed for newer gear.

Tech Guru

Have you tried aggregating the CDJs with your onboard audio?

If you're going to use the KA6, you may as well use it for all your audio input and output to keep things simple (i.e. no aggregating).
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Success!!! After a few cups of tea and a few pints of boddingtons I went back at it. Shut everything down, added the KA6 to the aggregate device I made for the cdj's and then fired up traktor. Now I can see the inputs and outputs and could arrange them so I can now finally record. A bit dodgy at first but I think I've got it! Thank you Jester and makar1!

Beer always sorts technical problems, unless you spill it on your shit

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Beer always sorts technical problems, unless you spill it on your shit
    Ok so I haven't changed a bloody thing on my setup, I came back downstairs, plugged my usb cables in fired up the cdj's and mixer and pa system, opened up traktor and get no audio coming out now. The output on the KA6 now lights up at 1/2. Nothing has been changed or modified.

I don't expect anyone to be able to help because they're not here actually looking at the kit but I've gotta say that I think I would have been better off if I had never unplugged or turned my macbook off that night I had everything working.

I ended up removing the KA6 from my aggregate device, got a OSX crash again because of it, re-added it, got another crash and now it's working. But c'mon I have to go through this every time?

Is this a OSX issue and I have to re-configure the aggregate device every time I plug my gear into the macbook? Are there certain steps I should be taking like, create aggregate device first, then connect CDJ's then fire up traktor etc?

Really want to push forward and not blame Traktor but it seems to just be a royal pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast