Getting Creative with Live DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Getting Creative with Live DJ

Hey guys,

Recently watched a video on the overall DJ and how exactly they DJ, Im looking to get a set up kind of similar to Ean, the pioneer mixer along with an Trackor x1 controller. I don't want to get the Z2 because of its only 2 channel mixer.

Does anyone have any ideas or guides to how I can get that set up and working Properly?

The Z2 is more than just a 2 channel mixer. Unless you really need more than 2 turntables all the time, it's fine. There are enough controls for decks C and D for me most of the time. It's fantastic for Traktor, is a great deal price-wise, and if you can't figure out how to set this kind of stuff up by yourself, it's probably a great choice because it's literally plug-and-play with Traktor and comes with Scratch Pro 2. The X1 is also plug-and-play with Traktor. To get set up and working properly, buy the hardware, install the software plug it in, and you're done.

In terms of Pioneer mixers, you could actually do better, but could definitely do worse. If you're going to spend a ton of money on a mixer with four channels and fantastic effects, go for an Allen and Heath Xone DB4. I would definitely try to get some time trying out a 2000NXS and especially the 900NXS, the latter of which has a a very nice feel to it.

Tech Wizard

I guess what Im trying to say is how would the x1 connect with the mixer? the Z2 is a great mixer the only reason why I'm not to fond of it is because of the feel and people say it seems kinda cheep. I rly looking at the Z2 because it has the 2 usb ports that i can put a x1 in and maybe a midi figter. Im not looking to use a turntable or CDjs I'm looking to only use the X1 to control the songs and use tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Nas525 View Post
    I guess what Im trying to say is how would the x1 connect with the mixer? the Z2 is a great mixer the only reason why I'm not to fond of it is because of the feel and people say it seems kinda cheep. I rly looking at the Z2 because it has the 2 usb ports that i can put a x1 in and maybe a midi figter. Im not looking to use a turntable or CDjs I'm looking to only use the X1 to control the songs and use tractor
    Your spelling is just atrocious.

You don't need a fancy mixer if you are just going to use Traktor for audio. I'm not saying you can't have one, just that you won't really making use of all the nice and expensive stuff in it. A Kontrol S4 or something (though not my style) will get you there.

You don't have to connect those controllers to a mixer. They are not audio devices, and can (actually must) be connected to a computer through its internal USB ports or any sort of USB hub. Few mixers have a USB hub in them.

Tech Wizard

oh god yes I know its bad lol.

so your saying, it wouldn't be unreasonable to buy a tractor z2, as a mixer. and have one x1 for controlling Deck A and Deck B and finally getting a midi fighter to have fun with remixing?

What kind of music do you play? You probably don't need all three things. I have to assume that you will not be doing any custom mapping whatsoever. I don't think that a MIDI Fighter of any generation is ideal for live remixing at all, and is sort of a mess in combination with X1s. The "Instant Gratification" and beaubryte "Amazing Spectra" options, while both cool, are just effects controls. The new model with the encoders isn't really suited to live remixing, either, though adding sequencing capability to Traktor is interesting.

The Z2 is a pretty good investment, and very probably more than you need mixer-wise. The X1 mk2 lets you decide which two decks to control when you plug it in, and can control any two decks at once. I personally own only one, but the Felix da Houscat setup (embedded below) with two X1s is very powerful.

Tech Wizard

Thats a really smart, cool setup. Ill be looking over what to buy. Thank you for the Advice.

Tech Mentor

On another note check out the Beringer CMD-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    On another note check out the Beringer CMD-1.
    Why?

Tech Mentor

4 Channels + 4 USB Hub. Mind you there is no soundcard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast